Talk

Advanced search

I fancy something fluffy and easy and different

(48 Posts)
Frouby Mon 27-Feb-17 22:18:04

After a spate of crime and thrillers I fancy something nice and fluffy and easy for a few nights.

Have just read The Goldfinch and was a bit disappointed. And the first 2 of the Jackson Brodie series. Which I enjoyed but didn't love.

I did love Vera and the Shetland series. And Tana French.

I like Lisa Jewel and Adele Parks earlier stuff and Jane Greens early stuff.

I am not a massive Jojo Moyes fan. I didn't like Gone Girl or Girl on a Train.

I prefer non graphic crime stuff. I have started reading a bit of skandi stuff and enjoyed it but didn't love it.

I want something easy and light but not predictable or boring.

Help before I actually go crossed eyed scouring Amazon.

SomethingPhishy Mon 27-Feb-17 22:23:16

Adriana Trigiani - Big stone gap trilogy is great

Inmyownlittlecorner Mon 27-Feb-17 22:23:23

Anything by Jenny Colgan. I'm loving the St Mary's Chronicles by Jodi Taylor at the minute & The Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.

user1471467016 Mon 27-Feb-17 22:25:54

Mc Beaton - anything but agatha raisin series especially

B1rdonawire Mon 27-Feb-17 22:27:42

Non-graphic crime favourites:
British, smart, pacy - Zoe Sharp and the Charlie Fox series
American, twisty-turny - David Baldacci any of the Memory Man/John Puller series

Fun, clever, funny and addictive:
Jasper Fforde - Thursday Next series

Really light but soothing:
M C Beaton - Hamish McBeth series or Agatha Raisin

Time4adrink Mon 27-Feb-17 22:28:12

Interesting...
The sudden appearance of hope (unpredictable)
We were liars (young adult book, easy read)

Funny and light
The Rosie Project and Rosie Effect

reup Mon 27-Feb-17 22:30:38

I read this recently as it was on offer on kindle. It was funny and quirky and easy.

www.bloomsbury.com/uk/jonathan-unleashed-9781408870778/

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Mon 27-Feb-17 22:31:09

I've recently read a few of the Frances Doughty series by Linda Stratmann. The first is called the Poisonous Seed.
It's set in the late 1800s I think? and the main character is a feisty daughter of a chemist, who starts solving murders. Nice and light.

I also read one of the Lord Peter Wimsey books by Dorothy L Sayers. These are funny and not too grizzly.

For laughs, if you like him, I read Nomad by Alan Partridge. I found it hilarious.

shortsaint Mon 27-Feb-17 22:33:50

Try Mary Wesley's books - Vacillations of Poppy Carew, The Camomile Lawn etc ...

Sugarcoma Mon 27-Feb-17 22:38:24

Agatha Christie?

annandale Mon 27-Feb-17 22:40:02

The Rosie Project is a good call. I personally wouldn't bother with the Rosie Effect.

Pied Piper and Trustee from the Toolroom by Nevil Shute, if you can cope with the casual racism (less so in the first one).

Melfish Mon 27-Feb-17 22:43:24

Maeve Binchy? Even DF (who rarely read a fiction book) enjoyed her short stories when he was in hospital (Victoria Line, Central Line) and I've read a few of hers when I want something entertaining but light. Agatha Christie Miss Marples are good too.

bruffin Mon 27-Feb-17 22:48:08

Alexander McCall Smith

Costacoffeeplease Mon 27-Feb-17 22:52:29

Mary Kay Andrews or jenny eclair

SandysMam Mon 27-Feb-17 22:54:20

Paige Toon stuff...very much fantasy (think normal girl meets rock star, rock star falls in love with her etc) but lovely escapism and very easy to read!

Frouby Tue 28-Feb-17 06:12:09

Thank you for those. Fell asleep before I found anything.

Some authors on there I haven't heard off so will look later and get something for tonight.

dylsmimi Tue 28-Feb-17 06:18:15

Lisa jewell
Sarah Addison Allen
Agatha raisin is light crime but very formulaic once you've read more than a couple
Deborah geary the 'witch central' books I think modern witch is the first one? And only on kindle

KoalaDownUnder Tue 28-Feb-17 06:20:47

Anything by Liane Moriarty would fit the bill.

dylsmimi Tue 28-Feb-17 06:37:13

Oops just seen you said Lisa jewell yourself
Light crime wise there is the aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris

Iamastonished Tue 28-Feb-17 07:19:46

I was also going to suggest Alexander McCall Smith. The no 1 Ladies Detective Agency books are just wonderful.

Lilaclily Tue 28-Feb-17 07:22:04

I'd suggest Amanda Prowse, Dorothy Koomson , LiAnne Moriaty and Tracy Buchanan smile

StealthPolarBear Tue 28-Feb-17 07:25:21

Jane fallon, not crime definitely chick lit but good chick lit imo. Just what I need when my brains fried

ThereAreNoGhostsHere Tue 28-Feb-17 09:21:44

My go to lightweight novels are the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. She is a bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey and gets drawn into all kinds of crime investigations. They are very funny.

Corneliusmurphy Tue 28-Feb-17 09:29:26

I just finished the readers of broken wheel recommend by katarina bivald, really enjoyed it, light but moving.

birdybirdywoofwoof Tue 28-Feb-17 09:33:42

'The first bad man', by Miranda July, not fluffy but v ''quirky', v easy to read, v different.

I enjoyed 'we were liars' too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now