Talk

Advanced search

Modern fiction for a ski trip: snow/ alps/ mountain/ nature/ winter themed?

(15 Posts)
Stanley38 Sat 25-Feb-17 17:57:24

Any recommendations? I wish I'd not read the snow child already. :-(

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 25-Feb-17 18:43:50

Damn, was going to suggest the Snow Child grin

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sat 25-Feb-17 18:50:30

Heidi grin

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sat 25-Feb-17 18:54:26

Geraldine McCaughrean's The White Darkness is YA but absorbing.

Have never read Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow or Snow Falling on Cedars but guess they must be snowy?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 25-Feb-17 18:55:43

The beginning of Lace is set in a Swiss boarding shool.

I always intend to use this site www.tripfiction.com for holiday reading but generally forget - any good to you?

GreenGinger2 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:05:45

Kate Mosse- The Winter Ghosts

CoteDAzur Sat 25-Feb-17 19:36:21

Anything but Into Thin Air.

Stanley38 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:43:08

Agreed Cote!

Thank you for all the other recommendations and that website, starling. I am going to have a look at the all now :-)

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 26-Feb-17 09:30:48

Oh yes, don't read Touching The Void either!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Feb-17 09:54:40

Into Thin Air is in a list of books I've started but were too dire to continue with.

CoteDAzur Sun 26-Feb-17 10:42:54

Don't get me wrong, Into Thin Air is a fantastic book.

I started reading it when on a ski trip, thinking I might want to read something related to mountains & snow. It was all great for a while, as they fit ready for the expedition, camaraderie, excitement etc. Then disaster struck.

I remember taking DD to her ski class the next day in the thick fog, and thinking "This is a mistake. I'll never find her again" shock

Yes, read that book but not when on a mountain.

grendel Sun 26-Feb-17 19:46:00

I'm going through a bit of a cold northern phase at the moment! What about:

Michelle Paver - Dark Matter (psychological mystery/thriller on arctic research trip)

Steff Penney - Under a Pole Star (more arctic exploration this time in Greenland in 1890s, but in fact quite an (ahem) steamy love story too)

I also loved another of Steff Penney's previous books - Tenderness of Wolves - lots of trekking through snow in remote American West

Kim Leine - The Prophets of Eternal Fjord (another one set in Greenland in the 1790s; hard to describe; Not that much about nature to be honest, more about religion, the human condition, and the grimness of life in a Danish colony; I've just finished it and thought it was great but it's a bit gruelling. Anyone else read it?)

Hannah Kent - Burial Rites (1820s Iceland; woman convicted of murder; lots of details about grimness of life in Iceland)

Lionel Davidson - Kolymsky Heights - totally different to the preceeding recomendations. Modern-ish spy thiller set in deepest Siberia. Absolute page turner.

tripfiction Sun 26-Feb-17 20:27:43

Try our collated novels/books set around snowsports over on Pinterest uk.pinterest.com/tripfiction/book-collection-snowsports-ski-snowboard/ Some good reads there....

Ladydepp Sun 26-Feb-17 22:34:38

The wonderful Terra Incognita by Sara Wheeler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now