Talk

Advanced search

The Laundry Files - will I hate them?

(6 Posts)
slightlyglitterbrained Mon 20-Feb-17 00:46:58

I keep having Charlie Stross turn up in Amazon recs, but have always dismissed them as "it'll be too dark/gross/grim for me".

But read this recently which really makes me want to read The Laundry Files series: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2016/08/reality-is-broken-1.html

Are they a good read for someone not too fond of grim? (Just returned The North Water cos reviews emphasised unremitting grimness). I'm not expecting blithe and sunny optimism in a series apparently about a branch of the Civil Service, but I'm kind of hoping for more on the Peter Grant end of the scale than say, Game of Thrones, IYSWIM?

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 20-Feb-17 00:55:28

www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2016/08/reality-is-broken-1.html

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Mon 20-Feb-17 00:57:23

I think if you like Peter Grant you've got a fair chance of enjoying Laundry. It hints at grim but I don't find it truly depressing - it's basically fun Cthulhu Mythos meets John Le Carre games - and not nearly as tough as the bad stuff in GOT.

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 20-Feb-17 22:58:28

That was a pretty good summary - just finished reading the first Laundry book, and while there are hints of grimness he doesn't get down and wallow in it.

Thoroughly enjoyed it - thank you!

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Tue 21-Feb-17 08:12:40

That was quick - glad you enjoyed it.

slightlyglitterbrained Tue 21-Feb-17 13:45:58

I might have stayed up a bit late after buying it blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now