Talk

Advanced search

Help me I have fallen by the wayside

(16 Posts)
LucyFuckingPevensie Mon 13-Feb-17 18:46:33

I haven't read much for ages, been busy studying and spent far too much time doing bugger all on the Internet.
Just finished Room which I read in a day, loved it and I want to be a reader again.
Can any of you please reccomend me any good books ?
I have just ordered the girl on the train but would love a long list of books to work my way through.
Tia

Itsafunnyoldgame Mon 13-Feb-17 19:37:11

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, I really enjoyed it, going to see if I can get her other books at the library.

antimatter Mon 13-Feb-17 19:37:19

I let you go - I finished it 15 min ago and really enjoyed it
Some of others I enjoyed are:
The book thief
The love of my life
The North Water
Madonna in a Fur coat
Perfect
The tale for the Time Being
The Lowland

MerryMarigold Mon 13-Feb-17 19:38:31

Bought dsis some books today for her bday. Did a search on amazon for Man Booker Prize books. Ordered two. Wish I could read them too!

antimatter Mon 13-Feb-17 21:40:20

I also agree - Booker Prize nominated books don't really disappoint.
I would recommend The Luminaries which is an amazing but it took me 3 attempts to get into it it and once I was past 80-100 pages I couldn't wait every day to read more of it. I was also sad when it ended.

LucyFuckingPevensie Tue 14-Feb-17 08:07:47

Thanks everyone. Will get buying... .and reading.

wobblywonderwoman Tue 14-Feb-17 08:10:12

Place marking

I have just finished Girl on the Train and it was the first book I have read since having dcs

MandyFl0ss Tue 14-Feb-17 08:12:03

Me too. I while ago I tried to get started with reading again and I went with a book that was on offer in Amazon and had amazing reviews. I bought it thinking I couldn't go wrong. It was soporific.
Haven't picked up a book since.
The book was 'Me before you'.
In the past I have loved Amy Tam, John Steinbeck and John Irving (well, some of it).

Costacoffeeplease Tue 14-Feb-17 08:12:38

Jenny Eclair's books are quite good for getting back into reading - Life Death and Vanilla Slices and Moving are two I've read and enjoyed recently

antimatter Tue 14-Feb-17 11:41:14

Mandy if Me before you was soporific then most of the book I recommend won't be for you.

Mandyfl0ss Tue 14-Feb-17 13:36:10

Oh really? I just found that the story never got going and the characters didn't grab me

Mrsgandyb Tue 14-Feb-17 19:42:00

I have struggled with reading for a long time and I use to love books . But I have found my love for it again . I'm reading memory Man by David Baldacci right now . I have finished John Grisham , The Whistler and next up is Liane Moriarty - what Alice forgot .

Nice to have some downtime

Lilaclily Tue 14-Feb-17 19:44:31

Gone Girl

Amanda Prowse- food of love

Anything by Kate Atkinson
Anything by Lisa jewell but especially Ralph's Party

Missanneshirley Tue 14-Feb-17 19:53:26

Have recently loved All the Light We Cannot See - fabulous book
Also anything by Barbara kingsolver

antimatter Wed 15-Feb-17 10:13:16

The North Water 99p today on Kindle

LucyFuckingPevensie Wed 15-Feb-17 21:09:46

I didn't think much to girl on the train tbh. It was ok, I wanted to know how it was going to finish, but I didn't find it gripping. I have downloaded a few books I have always wanted to read - all the pretty horses, my cousin Rachael and the wasp factory.
Going to make my way through some of the reccomendations on here too.
Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now