Talk

Advanced search

Which Primo Levi to start?

(14 Posts)
Mrsemcgregor Fri 03-Feb-17 15:57:57

Hello! I want to read some Primo Levi but don't know what would be the best of his books to start with? Thanks smile

GhostInTheBackOfYourHead Fri 03-Feb-17 16:53:37

Hi, obviously this is a very subjective decision but personally I think If This Is A Man would be a good place to start.
here
Hope this helps!

Chaotica Fri 03-Feb-17 16:57:55

Personally, I'd go for 'If not now, when?' (But I don't think I have a good reason for that.)

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 03-Feb-17 17:01:15

Periodic Table is a collection of short stories vaguely related to the elements (Primo Levi was a chemist). Might be a good starting point.

GhostInTheBackOfYourHead Fri 03-Feb-17 19:10:04

Haha, I love this! Three responses and three different books grin
Doesn't help you much though.

MoMandaS Fri 03-Feb-17 19:11:50

If This Is a Man

User666 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:11:58

If This is a Man.

His experience in the camp informed everything he did.

Probably the most powerful book I ever read.

Peppapogstillonaloop Fri 03-Feb-17 19:15:40

Yes if this is a man to start with. The drowned and the saved also but that was his last book I think

Catch583 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:48:58

It doesn't matter, they don't go in order.
They're harrowing and memorable, you won't want to race through everything he ever wrote so read one then, when you feel ready, try another.

Mrsemcgregor Sat 04-Feb-17 08:53:07

Thank you all. I will start with If This is a Man.

I have a weird feeling of not really looking forward to reading them but knowing I want to. I don't think I have ever felt like that before.

tribpot Sat 04-Feb-17 08:55:14

If This is a Man is book you would regret not reading. But it is brutal to do so.

whitehandledkitchenknife Sat 04-Feb-17 08:58:32

Definitely If This is a Man. Saying that, they're all exquisitely (if harrowing) written.

GhostInTheBackOfYourHead Sat 04-Feb-17 13:30:51

It is a devastating book. Only start it when you feel somewhat emotionally resilient, if you know what I mean. My grandparents and family were in Sachsenhausen and I feel like a know a tiny, tiny bit of what they'd experienced. If This Is A Man is such an important book and so timely. I wish you strength and fortitude during the reading.

Mrsemcgregor Sat 04-Feb-17 18:10:39

Thank you Ghost I picked it up in the charity book shop today but am saving it for sunnier days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: