Advanced search

What's it called? (not a book title)

(7 Posts)
PrettyCandles Mon 26-Feb-07 11:23:40

There's a weird fad creeping around the world for leaving books lying around for other people to pick up, take home, read, and leave again to be found by another person. Does anyone know what it's called? I think there's a website where you can register books found and 'released', and so track their progress around the world.

JackieNo Mon 26-Feb-07 11:26:20


JackieNo Mon 26-Feb-07 11:26:44

It's good fun - you feel a bit furtive when you leave books though.

paulaplumpbottom Mon 26-Feb-07 11:28:52

I haven't done things but I would love to. I'm always giving my books away especially if its one I really enjoyed

Bucketsofdynomite Mon 26-Feb-07 11:34:45

It's great fun. As well as 'wild releases' you can sign up for a bookray which is a list of people who want to read someone's copy, it gets posted along the list and the person at the end gets to do what they like with it. Alternative is a bookring where it goes back to the original owner at the end. I've read lots of things I wouldn't normally and it's always a lovely surprise when it arrives.
I've also started a few rays myself - if it's a book I really like I want to know it's going to be read, many wild releases simply vanish.

PrettyCandles Mon 26-Feb-07 11:38:41

Brilliant, thanks!

Now, shall I use my MN name or make up new one?

Bucketsofdynomite Mon 26-Feb-07 16:09:40

New one definitely. You might start going to Bookcrossing Meetups or make some new friends and you don't want them stalking your Mumsnet posts! (Can you imagine how addictive that would be if you identified someone you knew as a Mumsnetter!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: