Talk

Advanced search

Roisin's found another gem for young teens .. but where on earth are they getting these designers from these days?

(4 Posts)
roisin Sun 25-Feb-07 19:13:10

OK, yet again a book I would not have picked up because of the cover and the title, but it is enthralling. I started it 5 hours ago, and have barely put it down since!

It's on a list of ten my reading club are tackling, so I'll let you know what they make of it too.

Hope your children enjoy it!

the new policeman by Kathe Thompson

I would say good for 8-14s, probably more likely to be a hit with girls than boys; with an especial appeal for anyone with some musical interest/knowledge.

Recommendation from back cover:
'The New Policeman is charming, seductive and completely enthralling. Everyone with even a passing interest in Irish music, or magic, should read it.' Eoin Colfer

Blurb: Who knows where the time goes?

There is never enough of it in Kinvara, or anywhere else in Ireland for that matter. When Helen Liddy is asked what she wants for her birthday, she says, "Time. That's what I want. Time."

For generations the Liddys have been musicians, and fifteen-year-old JJ is continuing the tradition with his wonderful fiddle-playing. But one day in the school yard he discovers that music might not be the only thing that runs in his veins. Can it be true that his great-grandfather was a mrudere?

When JJ sets out to buy his mother some time he disocvers the answer, as well as some truly remarkable things about music, myth and magic. And more.

Who knows where the time goes?

JJ does.

Marina Sun 25-Feb-07 19:20:21

<shudder> at the cover I agree! It looks like vintage Barbara Vine - the book sounds great so thanks for that Roisin

Bucketsofdynomite Mon 26-Feb-07 11:38:34

Am I being thick, what's wrong with the cover?

roisin Mon 26-Feb-07 18:05:20

Bucketsofdynomite - it's obviously just a personal thing!
It didn't work at all for me. Maybe it's just a green thing!

I didn't like the title either, but that's by-the-by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now