Talk

Advanced search

Recommend book for DH

(14 Posts)
feelingdizzee Wed 25-Jan-17 08:56:02

Hi, DH doesn't ever really sit down and read a good book so I'm looking for recommendations please. Not really sure what men read, but he likes war, military, thriller etc nothing too dark or gruesome. Thanks smile

RhodaBull Wed 25-Jan-17 09:03:20

May I suggest Snowdrops by AD Miller?

Dh is not a big reader, but I read this and thought it was quite "manly" so encouraged him to try it and he loved it. It's set in Russia and is a thriller/commentary on life in Russia today.

highlandcoo Wed 25-Jan-17 18:00:10

How about Fatherland by Robert Harris? An alternative version of history where Germany won the war, it's a conspiracy thriller set in Berlin in the 60s.

Also everyone seems to find I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes a gripping read.

I really enjoyed Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. It's briefly gruesome at the start but excellent after that.

thenightmanageress Wed 25-Jan-17 18:12:21

Dominion by CJ Samson
Just finished it today - another alternative post WW2 history. Excellent!

ImperialBlether Wed 25-Jan-17 18:14:16

Lee Child?

LadyPeterWimsey Wed 25-Jan-17 19:08:05

I came on to say Lee Child too.

Really gripping. The only books DH has read more than once are Lee Child and John Le Carré.

cdtaylornats Wed 25-Jan-17 21:28:54

Andy McNab has written some excellent fiction along those lines

W. E. B. Griffin

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 25-Jan-17 21:34:29

Child 44 is excellent

Philip Kerr and his Bernie Gunther novels are also really good

HHH, sorry can't remember the author, but DH really enjoyed this one

feelingdizzee Wed 25-Jan-17 21:56:14

Thank you all v much for these recommendations we'll take a look and get some ordered. Much appreciated.

BlueOnMondayNight Thu 26-Jan-17 13:57:15

I second Fatherland. My DH loves that.

I think he might like The Company by Robert Littell. A CIA thriller. Very well written and utterly compelling plot.

I was put off reading Child 44 by the godawful film.....have you seen the film Five? is the book better?

Sadik Thu 26-Jan-17 14:27:05

Does he like non-fiction? I really enjoyed The New Spymasters by Stephen Grey which is basically a history of espionage from WW1 onwards, lots about how the IRA were infiltrated, attempted information gathering now in the middle east / afghanistan etc. I just picked it up on a whim at the station on a journey, but it was fascinating.

PopGoesTheWeaz Thu 26-Jan-17 22:35:28

Ben Aaronvitchs Peter Grant books are very fun detective books with a fantasy slant.

DH tore through the Patrick O'Brien books which are 19th century naval I believe (Master and Commander). Chic-lit for boys?

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 27-Jan-17 18:04:17

Fatherland and Bernie Gunther both v v good.

HHhH superb, but not if he's not a big reader, as it's not an easy read.

The Spy who Came in from the Cold

Or some non-fcition maybe, eg World War Z (zombies) or Agent Zigzag (spies, Nazis etc and excellent).

SwedishEdith Fri 27-Jan-17 20:49:03

The Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
Len Deighton
Robert Ludlum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now