Talk

Advanced search

Reading the alphabet

(19 Posts)
MiddlingMum Mon 16-Jan-17 15:31:20

If you were to read a novel by an author whose surname started with each letter of the alphabet, what would you read for Q, X and Y? Needs to be in English but translations would be fine.

Assume you don't like sci-fi, fantasy, chicklit or anything too thrillerish.

TIA

Palegreenstars Mon 16-Jan-17 15:57:59

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai is awesome

MollyHuaCha Mon 16-Jan-17 16:03:01

Malala is great. But her book didn't appeal to me. Started it but didn't finish.

MiddlingMum Mon 16-Jan-17 16:54:04

Thank you, but I was really looking for novels. I plan to read it anyway at some point.

Any other ideas anyone?

Palegreenstars Mon 16-Jan-17 18:41:41

A little life by Hanya Yanagihara has gotten really good reviews - but it's quite long.

Stuck on X though

MontyFox Mon 16-Jan-17 20:55:08

Maybe try Chinese authors for X?

MiddlingMum Mon 16-Jan-17 21:25:29

Palegreenstars I'll look out for that, thank you. I don't mind long books at all - my current one is nearly 900 pages.

MontyFox that's a good idea. I'll see what the library have, although I'm quite a way off X at the moment!

Any ideas for Q?

TempehTantrum Mon 16-Jan-17 22:35:26

Q: Thomas de Quincey 'Confessions of an Opium Eater'
X: Gao Xingjian 'Soul Mountain' - winner of the Nobel prize for literature in 2000
Y: Marguerite Yourcenar 'Memoirs of Hadrian'

Who do you have for 'Z' ? Zola 'Germinal' or Juli Zeh 'Dark Matter' are both good reads.

MiddlingMum Tue 17-Jan-17 08:39:16

Tempeh Thank you, Soul Mountain sounds good, I'll have a look at that.

For Z I could read any Zola - I've read some but not others. I haven't read Germinal for a couple of decades. Also I have Markus Zusak's The Book Theif on my shelf but haven't read it yet. I'm allowing myself a few re-reads, but am planning mostly to read novels for the first time.

Does anyone else fancy doing this? We can compare notes smile

MollyHuaCha Tue 17-Jan-17 10:20:08

The Book Thief is a beautiful book. Not seen the film, but the book is gorgeous.

ThereAreNoGhostsHere Tue 17-Jan-17 10:56:57

I did an alphabet challenge a few years ago. Was interesting in that it took me to books I wouldn't necessarily have chosen otherwise, which is no bad thing smile My "x" was a Chinese author/journalist, Xinran.

mmack Tue 17-Jan-17 12:53:47

The Lost and Forgotten Languages of Shanghai by Ruiyan Xu is really good. Banana Yoshimoto and Anna Quindlin would cover Y and Q. I loved Nell Zink's two books if you are stuck for Z.

MiddlingMum Tue 17-Jan-17 15:34:57

Ooh, lovely ideas, thank you everyone. I'll have a look in the translated fiction dept of our nearest big bookshop and see which of those I can find.

quencher Tue 17-Jan-17 17:16:26

Thanks op, for giving me an idea of using alphabet as an encouragement.

I was looking for ideas to keep me reading and I will try what you are doing.

MiddlingMum Tue 17-Jan-17 17:49:31

Hello quencher Are you starting with A soon? Most letters are quite easy and quite a choice, but some are harder!

It's quite a good motivation though smile

quencher Tue 17-Jan-17 18:16:36

Am reading one at the moment. Once am done. I should start and see where it takes. smile

DragonsToSlayAndWineToDrink Tue 17-Jan-17 18:19:05

Interesting! Am currently reading "Hagseed" by Margaret Atwood, so I could count this as my A...

MiddlingMum Tue 17-Jan-17 19:45:20

Oh yes, Dragons you seem to have started by accident! What could you read for B?

quencher, that would be good, it's a bit like an armchair adventure smile

DragonsToSlayAndWineToDrink Wed 18-Jan-17 15:50:20

Since "To Walk Invisible" was on TV, I have wondered about reading Wuthering Heights, so Emily Bronte could be my "B"...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now