Talk

Advanced search

N American road trip book - title? author?

(7 Posts)
gutrotweins Fri 13-Jan-17 23:34:11

I read this amazing book in the 80s written by a native American. I think he gave up his job as a teacher and then wrote the book about his trip around America on minor roads, talking to people on the way.
(It is actually the only factual book I have ever read cover to cover (apart from The Selfish Gene - and that was very short!)) blush
I'd quite like to re-read it as Trump becomes president, to see whether there were any clues about what was going to happen in the future.

Monkeyface26 Fri 13-Jan-17 23:39:56

Was it Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent?

If so, do read some of his other travel books. His Australia one is especially good and he did a recent book retracing his childhood American trips as an adult.

BabCNesbitt Fri 13-Jan-17 23:50:12

Was it Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon? I've never read it but always been intrigued by the author's name - may have to check it out if it is that one and it's as good as you say!

gutrotweins Fri 20-Jan-17 21:42:48

Blue Highways! Thank you! I might read it again smile

OCSockOrphanage Mon 30-Jan-17 21:10:03

Definitely Blue Highways. And he has written several others (now deceased) including River Horse, about crossing the USA on its waterways. Loved them to death, but gentle reads and his others might be fairly heavy going. I have bought them all, but he can get very academic.

OCSockOrphanage Mon 30-Jan-17 21:11:31

He does write extremely beautifully and sounds like a great companion though.

Deathraystare Tue 14-Feb-17 15:01:28

Blue Highways was amazing! I Loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now