Talk

Advanced search

I need a page turner please!

(15 Posts)
Badgoushk Sat 07-Jan-17 20:59:21

I am the worst person for starting a book, reading 2-3 pages then getting distracted onto something else. One of the few books I started and actually FINISHED in the last 3 years was I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.

Please can someone recommend a page turner. No chick lit. Something intelligent but easy to read please!

Thanks so much.

Badgoushk Sat 07-Jan-17 21:10:32

I don't think I should have said 'easy to read'. I mean not overly complicated. In the past I have enjoyed writers like Graham Greene and George Orwell. Now I'm more open to modern authors like Terry Hayes.

YoumeandlittleP Sat 07-Jan-17 21:11:43

I've not read 'I am Pilgrim' so not sure on the type of genre but I have a couple off the top of my head which I loved.

Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

The Book Thief- Markus Zusak

The Kite Runner
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khalad Hosseini

Pillars of the Earth
World Without End - Ken Follett

smile

Greenteandchives Sat 07-Jan-17 21:15:00

Moving by Jenny Eclair. Surprisingly the last book I couldn't wait to pick up. And I am hard to please.

Badgoushk Sat 07-Jan-17 21:43:28

Thank you both! I have added those to my list!!

Thirtyrock39 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:45:55

I loved moving by jenny eclair picked up another of hers today and already halfway through but my most recent couldn't put down is 'the girls ' by Emma Cline a fiction book but based on the 'Manson girls'- sounds trashy but is really well written and gripping

Badgoushk Sun 08-Jan-17 10:43:55

Thanks everyone!

notasausage Mon 23-Jan-17 21:58:24

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. Fantastic crime drama, believable characters, well written.

Newtssuitcase Mon 23-Jan-17 22:07:14

I am Pilgrim is written for film. It is very fast paced with short scenes. You can visualise it very easily because of this.

Perhaps something like the girl in the red coat - Kate Harmer?

Best books I have recently though were:

The Humans - Matt Haig
The Martian - Andy Weir
The first 15 lives of harry August - Claire North
The Girl who saved the king of Sweden - Jonas Jonasson
The Secret History - Donna Tartt

If you want something really very easy then I really enjoyed Outlander (but the sequels are getting samey)

Blogwoman Mon 23-Jan-17 22:20:02

I really enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale by Diana Setterfield, a tale of family secrets, and gave it to someone else who sat up all night to read it! Another that I loved was Sebastian Barry's The Secret Scripture, with two narratives - one by a 100 year old woman in a psychiatric hospital and the other by her psychiatrist. If you like good historical novels I can recommend 'An Instance of the Fingerpost' by Iain Pears and one I've just finished - a really entertaining romp set in 18th century New York - Golden Hill by Francis Spufford.

fatowl Mon 23-Jan-17 23:20:23

I'd second The Martian - I don't usually read SciFi- but I couldn't put it down.

11-22-63 by Stephen King (it's a bit of a marmite book on the 50 Book thread but I loved it)

I just rattled through CHild 44 very quickly but it was a bit grim in places - depends what sort of things you go for.

hookiewookie29 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:05:47

Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Haynes.Psychological thriller.A definite page turner.Unputdownable!

Bookreader2403 Thu 26-Jan-17 11:47:06

I second The Thirteenth Tale also and I LOVED Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. I couldn't keep away from it.

AnneLovesGilbert Thu 26-Jan-17 11:56:46

Another vote for I Let You Go. A stunner.

I have I am Pilgrim on my list, thanks for the reminder!

Wildernesstips Thu 26-Jan-17 19:59:04

I loved I Am Pilgrim. Recently read Coffin Road which I really enjoyed and read in about three days. Another fast to read one, Room by Emma Donohue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now