Talk

Advanced search

New Phil Rickman (Merrily Watkins)

(13 Posts)
hefzi Thu 05-Jan-17 13:09:46

Updated my Kindle last night, and there it was! Just posting quickly here if other fans had forgotten it's out now smile

hoochymama1 Thu 05-Jan-17 16:53:19

Ooo, me, me, which one is it? I have book vouchers... grin

BroomstickOfLove Thu 05-Jan-17 16:57:08

I was given a tremendously long book for Christmas, so I don't think I'll be able to read it for a month or so.

hefzi Thu 05-Jan-17 18:14:45

It's "All of a Winter's Night"- only about half way through, but it's excellent so far, hoochy And Broomstick you're way too restrained! I was reading something else but I wasn't loving it- and now I'm gorging on weirdness like a shameless book husky!

hefzi Thu 05-Jan-17 18:15:51

HUSSY, dammit: I'm not sure what a husky would do with a shameless book... grin

CMOTDibbler Thu 05-Jan-17 18:17:00

Its arrived on my Kindle, and am waiting to read it next week as I have a long train journey. However, my self control might not last...

EstelleRoberts Thu 05-Jan-17 18:18:52

Omg!!!! How incredibly exciting! <rushes off to buy it>

hefzi Fri 06-Jan-17 10:39:25

I finished it early this morning: I thought it was very good!

iamEarthymama Mon 09-Jan-17 00:28:47

I reread Friends of the Dusk yesterday as I was feeling ill and slept and read all day.
I really enjoyed this third reading and appreciated how Phil creates the dour and doom-laden atmospheres with his description of the weather, the oppressive mountains and buildings that seem to possess living energy.

So I downloaded All of a Winter's Night at 8 am and just finished it.,
I loved it, excellent stuff. I read in such a rush because I love the characters and want to know what happens. I will reread soon at a more leisurely pace and then reread the series sometime.

Well done Phil Rickman!

(Do other people reread? )

Elllicam Mon 09-Jan-17 00:39:14

Oh great smile will download it for my kindle smile

MyWhatICallNameChange Mon 09-Jan-17 00:46:11

I got Friends of the Dusk last Christmas (2015) and still haven't got round to reading it. sad I need to get on. Just as well I have no spare money for the new one, will probably ask for it for my birthday in March.

But I'm glad I've found some Phil Rickman fans, no one I know irl reads his books.

hoochymama1 Tue 10-Jan-17 17:29:20

Oo, yes, it is now in my hot little hands! Good old MiL and her book vouchers. Thanks for the recommendation hefzi flowers Still reading the first Lee Child, so have lined up the next book nicely.
I like the idea of being a book husky grin

olliegarchy99 Mon 10-Apr-17 10:55:50

I have finally got this book from my local library as I had to wait on other fans for the reservation. It is excellent and has ..... Gomer back smile .....Phil Rickman has the rare ability to describe ordinary things and places so that you look at and think about them in a differant way.
I live in Herefordshire and know and love the 'differentness' of the place that is not yet spoilt by those from 'off'. The "new Cotswolds" it is not!
I have all 14 previous MW books and have been re-reading them in true order - they are some of the best books written in this genre I have ever read. Will buy this new one to add to my shelf when it comes on Amazon as second hand in hardback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now