Talk

Advanced search

If I liked the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

(11 Posts)
cheeseoverchocolate Mon 02-Jan-17 09:22:13

Hi everyone,

I normally mostly read fiction, predominantly American and British, but recently decided I should try and vary the kind of books I read. I really enjoyed TILOFH and was wondering whether you had recommendations based on this or based on the fact I'd be happy to try new genres?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
hackmum Mon 02-Jan-17 13:17:19

Try The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee. It's a fascinating history of cancer by an oncologist that includes personal stories.

cheeseoverchocolate Mon 02-Jan-17 13:31:04

Thank you! That's the kind of books I'm after. I've added it to my to read list.

53rdAndBird Mon 02-Jan-17 13:32:57

The Family That Couldn't Sleep: Unravelling A Venetian Medical Mystery, by D T Max

Therearenoghostshere Mon 02-Jan-17 14:35:54

The Iceberg by Marion Coutts
Do No Harm by Henry Marsh

BestIsWest Mon 02-Jan-17 18:19:25

Just bumping as I liked Henrietta Lacks too. Do no Harm was also very good and I've downloaded a couple of the recommendations here.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 02-Jan-17 18:26:22

Stasiland by Anna Funder was another non fiction read that I found as gripping as the IMLOHL. Normally I prefer novels but like you have been trying to readout outside my comfort zone.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 02-Jan-17 18:27:00

Oh and The Suspicions of Mr Whicher too.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Mon 02-Jan-17 18:58:36

Atul Gawande - a surgeon. He's got a couple of books - 'Complications' is my favourite so far, but I've not finished 'Being Mortal' yet.

thriftymrs Tue 03-Jan-17 14:20:50

I loved Henrietta Lacks too. A really engrossing read, incredible true story.

cheeseoverchocolate Tue 03-Jan-17 17:03:29

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I have a quick look up on the internet and all sound very promising.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in