Talk

Advanced search

If I liked the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

(11 Posts)
cheeseoverchocolate Mon 02-Jan-17 09:22:13

Hi everyone,

I normally mostly read fiction, predominantly American and British, but recently decided I should try and vary the kind of books I read. I really enjoyed TILOFH and was wondering whether you had recommendations based on this or based on the fact I'd be happy to try new genres?

Thanks!

hackmum Mon 02-Jan-17 13:17:19

Try The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee. It's a fascinating history of cancer by an oncologist that includes personal stories.

cheeseoverchocolate Mon 02-Jan-17 13:31:04

Thank you! That's the kind of books I'm after. I've added it to my to read list.

53rdAndBird Mon 02-Jan-17 13:32:57

The Family That Couldn't Sleep: Unravelling A Venetian Medical Mystery, by D T Max

Therearenoghostshere Mon 02-Jan-17 14:35:54

The Iceberg by Marion Coutts
Do No Harm by Henry Marsh

BestIsWest Mon 02-Jan-17 18:19:25

Just bumping as I liked Henrietta Lacks too. Do no Harm was also very good and I've downloaded a couple of the recommendations here.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 02-Jan-17 18:26:22

Stasiland by Anna Funder was another non fiction read that I found as gripping as the IMLOHL. Normally I prefer novels but like you have been trying to readout outside my comfort zone.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 02-Jan-17 18:27:00

Oh and The Suspicions of Mr Whicher too.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Mon 02-Jan-17 18:58:36

Atul Gawande - a surgeon. He's got a couple of books - 'Complications' is my favourite so far, but I've not finished 'Being Mortal' yet.

thriftymrs Tue 03-Jan-17 14:20:50

I loved Henrietta Lacks too. A really engrossing read, incredible true story.

cheeseoverchocolate Tue 03-Jan-17 17:03:29

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I have a quick look up on the internet and all sound very promising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now