Talk

Advanced search

What have you read recently that was AMAZING?

(83 Posts)
JemimaMuddledUp Wed 28-Dec-16 16:49:20

Looking for recommendations to add to my list for 2017.

My favourite recent reads are:
Shylock is my Name - Howard Jacobson
A Week in December - Sebastian Faulks
The Muse - Jessie Burton

What have you loved and why?

SandyDays Wed 28-Dec-16 16:54:37

I enjoyed I pilgrim this year

PossumInAPearTree Wed 28-Dec-16 16:59:34

The Goldfinch is the last amazing book I read.

Footle Wed 28-Dec-16 17:00:35

The Hollow Land, Jane Gardam.

ThreeBecameFour Wed 28-Dec-16 17:00:55

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara...harrowing...but a really good book

missyB1 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:08:56

The Shock Of The Fall - Nathan Filer

Its about a boy whose sibling dies and how it affects him growing up. Its sad but lots of funny / heartwarming bits.

AgentProvocateur Wed 28-Dec-16 17:11:04

Seconding A Little Life. Very harrowing but beautifully written. And incredibly sad.

JemimaMuddledUp Wed 28-Dec-16 21:50:43

The Goldfinch is on my "to read" list.

I've not heard of the others, thank you.

DementedUnicorn Wed 28-Dec-16 23:18:52

I read a few Louise Jensen thrillers lately and enjoyed them.

thriftymrs Tue 03-Jan-17 14:27:50

I came very late to it as it's a classic, but just read 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith (who also, as I discovered, wrote '101 Dalmations'). It's funny and smart and I didn''t want it to end. I also really enjoyed '84 Charing Cross Road' by Helene Hanff - funny and insightful true story of the American author's correspondence with a bookshop at that address post-World War II. Really engaging and just lovely, feel-good writing. Can't recommend highly enough.

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 03-Jan-17 15:17:03

Last two books I've finished All the Light We Cannot See and The Essex Serpent, both very good reads and would recommend.

KeithLeMonde Tue 03-Jan-17 15:21:38

I loved Americanah - genuinely made me think afresh about race and identity, as well as being very readable, funny and lots of mouth-watering descriptions of Nigerian food (resolution for 2017, visit a Nigerian restaurant).

I was very moved by Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal. I've never really read anything by Winterson before, and thought she was a bit of an arse, but the writing was beautiful and the story of her adoption and depression was both heart-breaking and uplifting in different ways.

On a much lighter note, I finally got round to reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette? which was funny and clever - snarky but warm-hearted.

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 03-Jan-17 15:36:49

I really liked Bernadette.

JudithTaverner Tue 03-Jan-17 15:39:12

I read All the Light We Cannot See too and really enjoyed it - one of my best books of 2016.

Also really loved A Little Life, enjoyed Americanah and Bernadette too.

Jemimapuddleduk Tue 03-Jan-17 15:40:41

Lie with me Sabine Durrant- a really excellent psychological thriller with a male as the narrator and main character (most of the thrillers I have read always have a woman as the main lead).

Trooperslane Tue 03-Jan-17 15:58:52

I captured the castle is the most amazing, lovely book.

I'm reading Jeeves and Wooster for the first time. Also love Evelyn Waugh - the sarcasm is hilarious.

jimijack Tue 03-Jan-17 16:03:57

I enjoyed the girl on the train, haven't read anything really good in ages though unfortunately.

cloudchasing Tue 03-Jan-17 16:07:40

I've just finished Room and absolutely loved it. Best book I've read for ages! Don't know whether to watch the film or not, I think I might be disappointed.

piebald Tue 03-Jan-17 16:12:10

A place called winter by Patrick Gale is by far the best book i read last year

slug Tue 03-Jan-17 16:12:18

"The Power" by Naomi Alderman. What happens when women evolve the power to deliver electrical shocks to men

JudithTaverner Tue 03-Jan-17 16:30:28

ooh I've got that in my unread pile Piebald - I may read it next

VallarMorghulis Tue 03-Jan-17 17:09:52

I've just finished The lie by CL Taylor and really enjoyed it.

cloudchasing Tue 03-Jan-17 17:25:01

Ooh I'll put that on my list Vallar I read The Accident by the same author last year and really liked it.

absolutelynotfabulous Tue 03-Jan-17 17:32:30

I've just read How Green Was My Valley again. It's a lovely book, and captures Victorian South Wales beautifully.

Also read Secret History, and found it gripping not sure why, as the characters are arseholes.

Feckinlego Sun 08-Jan-17 11:09:08

Try 'schtum' by Jeremy lester, fabulous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now