Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a classic

(19 Posts)
braceybracegirl Tue 27-Dec-16 22:33:55

I love reading but never read a classic (I don't think) what would you recommend?

fatowl Tue 27-Dec-16 23:27:49

Depends on your definition of classic really. If you mean "on the GCSE syllabus":

To Kill a Mockingbird
Of Mice and Men
Great expectations
Pride and prejudice

All good reads

Many people class Rebecca as a classic - that's fabulous

SwearyManger Tue 27-Dec-16 23:28:59

Anna Karenina

ATruthUniversallyAcknowledged Tue 27-Dec-16 23:36:39

Pride and Prejudice. Obviously.

charlestrenet Tue 27-Dec-16 23:41:04

The Woman In White - a complex and immensely satisfying read incorporating romance, mystery and sleuthing told by several narrators. Perfect to lose yourself to for a week in winter.

Vanity Fair - a huge riotous beast of a book with a great cast of characters including the most engaging anti-heroine ever.

Wuthering Heights - one of a kind. It's almost like a dark twisted poem that will draw you into a place you didn't know existed from which you will definitely emerge shaken.

braceybracegirl Wed 28-Dec-16 17:56:13

Wonderful thank you. Will have a look on amazon to try and pick some of these cheaply.

Graphista Wed 28-Dec-16 18:05:17

Pride and prejudice is my favourite book ever lost count how many times I've read it and I've read a LOT of books.

For the time of year - wuthering heights, a Christmas carol, Oliver Twist, little women, the lion the witch and the wardrobe, Hercules poirots Christmas, the moonstone, the sittaford mystery (another Agatha Christie can you tell I love crime fiction? grin)

Gardenbirdy Wed 28-Dec-16 18:07:31

A Christmas carol! If you like the muppet version you'll be shocked at how accurate it is to the book. Or maybe save that one until December....

braceybracegirl Wed 28-Dec-16 18:09:38

Oh I have read to.kill a mockingbird at school.

imsorryiasked Wed 28-Dec-16 18:34:22

Perhaps not a true classic but "Out of Africa" is beautiful. I've read it several times and am instantly transported by the opening lines.

Allalonenow Wed 28-Dec-16 18:40:59

Tess of the d'Ubervilles

Bleak House

Our Mutual Friend

Another vote for Woman in White

myfriendnoel Wed 28-Dec-16 18:41:44

The dark is rising. Was Harry Potter belfry Harry Potter and is seasonal if you start it now smile

myfriendnoel Wed 28-Dec-16 18:42:22

Or else Wuthering Heights or Jayne Eyre...

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Wed 28-Dec-16 18:42:29

Pride and Prejudice

Jane Eyre

Cinnamon84 Wed 28-Dec-16 18:45:06

Rebecca

Allalonenow Wed 28-Dec-16 19:12:07

The Count of Monte Cristo

Daniel Deronda

A Passage to India

And some classics in the making
Austerlitz ~ Sebald
Lanark ~ Gray
Confederacy of Dunces ~ Toole
This Thing of Darkness ~ Thompson

braceybracegirl Wed 28-Dec-16 19:17:28

Ok I've ordered wuthering heights and pride and prejudice
Excited! Are they easy to get into as I do give up on books that u don't get into straightaway.

Graphista Wed 28-Dec-16 20:36:53

Yes very easy to get into - I'm the same crap attention span! I'm the type to have several books on the go at once.

midsomermurderess Thu 29-Dec-16 13:07:02

I second Our Mutual Friend.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: