Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a classic

(19 Posts)
braceybracegirl Tue 27-Dec-16 22:33:55

I love reading but never read a classic (I don't think) what would you recommend?

fatowl Tue 27-Dec-16 23:27:49

Depends on your definition of classic really. If you mean "on the GCSE syllabus":

To Kill a Mockingbird
Of Mice and Men
Great expectations
Pride and prejudice

All good reads

Many people class Rebecca as a classic - that's fabulous

SwearyManger Tue 27-Dec-16 23:28:59

Anna Karenina

Pride and Prejudice. Obviously.

charlestrenet Tue 27-Dec-16 23:41:04

The Woman In White - a complex and immensely satisfying read incorporating romance, mystery and sleuthing told by several narrators. Perfect to lose yourself to for a week in winter.

Vanity Fair - a huge riotous beast of a book with a great cast of characters including the most engaging anti-heroine ever.

Wuthering Heights - one of a kind. It's almost like a dark twisted poem that will draw you into a place you didn't know existed from which you will definitely emerge shaken.

braceybracegirl Wed 28-Dec-16 17:56:13

Wonderful thank you. Will have a look on amazon to try and pick some of these cheaply.

Graphista Wed 28-Dec-16 18:05:17

Pride and prejudice is my favourite book ever lost count how many times I've read it and I've read a LOT of books.

For the time of year - wuthering heights, a Christmas carol, Oliver Twist, little women, the lion the witch and the wardrobe, Hercules poirots Christmas, the moonstone, the sittaford mystery (another Agatha Christie can you tell I love crime fiction? grin)

Gardenbirdy Wed 28-Dec-16 18:07:31

A Christmas carol! If you like the muppet version you'll be shocked at how accurate it is to the book. Or maybe save that one until December....

braceybracegirl Wed 28-Dec-16 18:09:38

Oh I have read to.kill a mockingbird at school.

imsorryiasked Wed 28-Dec-16 18:34:22

Perhaps not a true classic but "Out of Africa" is beautiful. I've read it several times and am instantly transported by the opening lines.

Allalonenow Wed 28-Dec-16 18:40:59

Tess of the d'Ubervilles

Bleak House

Our Mutual Friend

Another vote for Woman in White

myfriendnoel Wed 28-Dec-16 18:41:44

The dark is rising. Was Harry Potter belfry Harry Potter and is seasonal if you start it now smile

myfriendnoel Wed 28-Dec-16 18:42:22

Or else Wuthering Heights or Jayne Eyre...

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Wed 28-Dec-16 18:42:29

Pride and Prejudice

Jane Eyre

Cinnamon84 Wed 28-Dec-16 18:45:06

Rebecca

Allalonenow Wed 28-Dec-16 19:12:07

The Count of Monte Cristo

Daniel Deronda

A Passage to India

And some classics in the making
Austerlitz ~ Sebald
Lanark ~ Gray
Confederacy of Dunces ~ Toole
This Thing of Darkness ~ Thompson

braceybracegirl Wed 28-Dec-16 19:17:28

Ok I've ordered wuthering heights and pride and prejudice
Excited! Are they easy to get into as I do give up on books that u don't get into straightaway.

Graphista Wed 28-Dec-16 20:36:53

Yes very easy to get into - I'm the same crap attention span! I'm the type to have several books on the go at once.

midsomermurderess Thu 29-Dec-16 13:07:02

I second Our Mutual Friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now