Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please recomend me something good to read

(13 Posts)
cheeryface Mon 19-Feb-07 16:07:51

i have been reading Lesley glaisters books which i love, strangely no one else seems to have heard of her around here!

i want a gripping page turner but not a murder mystery type

romantic thriller or something..

any suggestions greatly appreciated

Muminfife Mon 19-Feb-07 16:34:01

Message withdrawn

ShowOfHands Mon 19-Feb-07 16:37:13

Aah Lesley Glaister taught me for a semester at university and very lovely she was too!

Anita Desai I quite like atm.

brimfull Mon 19-Feb-07 16:38:28

yes middlesex is wonderfu;
I've just finished The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins,romantic mystery and wonderful .

mytwocents Mon 19-Feb-07 16:45:16

Yes middlesex very good. try 'The Kite runner'- sorry cant remember author- also 'love in a present tense' is good, sorry don't remember names but froogle them..........
Another favourite is Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre, fantastic unlikely hero story with great take on crazy america......

purpleturtle Mon 19-Feb-07 16:46:58

i think the historian is my fave of the moment

sorry onehanded as bf ds2

janeite Wed 21-Feb-07 18:29:17

Ooh "Middlesex" is good, yes, but I liked "The Virgin Suicides" even more.

"The Historian" is next on my "to read" pile.

cheeryface Wed 21-Feb-07 18:36:29

thanx, i've read love in the present tense, i enjoyed it
i will check out some of these suggestions

deweydell Wed 21-Feb-07 20:23:06

A Blow to the Heart by Marcel Theroux is gripping and moving - about a woman who wants to get revenge on... actually, I'm not going to say as it will give it away.

I read Lesley Glaister years ago - Burning Bright - and loved it.

AnneJones Thu 22-Feb-07 14:12:00

I'm re-reading The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins too - am so enjoying it! The Moonstone by the same author is also very good.

They're Victorian "mystery" novels.

merlotmama Thu 22-Feb-07 22:09:35

I've just finished 'Restless' by William Boyd. About an elderly woman who had a whole life her daughter knew nothing of, before the daughter was born, during the war.
For a long time you wonder: is this true or is her mum going gaga?
Lots of intrigue, treachery and double guessing....and, being Boyd, very well written.

Have just started White Man Falling by Mike Stocks. Set in India. So far a family saga and very drole but poignant too. Swami was a policeman who had a stroke beating up a Very Guilty Prisoner. Now disabled and on a pension, he has lots of single daughters and no money for dowries. To cap it all a white man falls out of a hotel practically on top of him...and that's as far as I've got, but it's shaping up really well.

merlotmama Thu 22-Feb-07 22:13:29

Sorry, just reread your query...the William Boyd one is more of a page-turner.

I've also read Lesly Glaister - 'Easy Peasy' - and enjoyed it.

ArcticRoll Fri 23-Feb-07 13:21:18

Oh yes Easy Peasy I enjoyed that novel.
Douglas Kennedy writes page turners- The Pursuit of Happiness, A Special Relationship, The Big Picture.
Have you read any Anne Tyler-she's my favourite contemporary author?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now