Talk

Advanced search

Favourite book of 2016

(8 Posts)
von1471 Wed 21-Dec-16 18:17:43

We're near the end of the year so what's been your favourite book in 2016? Please provide a little synopsis of the book and a marking out of 10.

Clawdy Wed 21-Dec-16 19:56:12

Orphans of the Carnival by Carol Birch. The story of Julia Pastrana, billed as "the hairiest woman in the world " and travelling in freak shows. But she could sing and dance beautifully.....An amazing story and so beautifully written. Ten out of ten.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Wed 21-Dec-16 22:24:56

Ghosts of Berlin - An absolutely fascinating look at how Berlin's buildings have changed over time, and how decisions were made about what should be saved/destroyed post-WW2 and then again after the Wall came down. Loved it. Ten out of ten.

danne Tue 27-Dec-16 00:30:24

"London for Immigrant suckers; So long Yugoslavia" A story about the last days of Yugoslavia and 90's London, told by a somewhat strange character. There is also a very interesting insight into what (some) men think when it comes to relationship and even marriage.

KeyserSophie Thu 29-Dec-16 12:41:19

A Little Life. Set in NYC. Tells the life story of 4 men who become friends at college, but increasingly focuses on one of them who had a deeply traumatic childhood but goes on to become a successful lawyer. Unbelievably well written and very engaging.

9/10. Loses one point for being about 75-100 pages too long.

PhoenixRisingSlowly Fri 30-Dec-16 09:37:23

Shantaram but this only slightly pipped A Little Life to the post, both amazing reads.

OCSockOrphanage Sat 31-Dec-16 13:32:33

The Shepherd's Life, by James Rebanks, about Cumbria, Herdwick sheep, family, education and much more. 10/10, and the only book I reread as soon as I had finished it the first time.

Bruce Springsteen's autobiography may be another, but I haven't finished it yet.

SatsukiKusakabe Sat 31-Dec-16 13:33:38

HHhH by Laurent Binet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now