Talk

Advanced search

Favourite book of 2016

(8 Posts)
von1471 Wed 21-Dec-16 18:17:43

We're near the end of the year so what's been your favourite book in 2016? Please provide a little synopsis of the book and a marking out of 10.

Clawdy Wed 21-Dec-16 19:56:12

Orphans of the Carnival by Carol Birch. The story of Julia Pastrana, billed as "the hairiest woman in the world " and travelling in freak shows. But she could sing and dance beautifully.....An amazing story and so beautifully written. Ten out of ten.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Wed 21-Dec-16 22:24:56

Ghosts of Berlin - An absolutely fascinating look at how Berlin's buildings have changed over time, and how decisions were made about what should be saved/destroyed post-WW2 and then again after the Wall came down. Loved it. Ten out of ten.

danne Tue 27-Dec-16 00:30:24

"London for Immigrant suckers; So long Yugoslavia" A story about the last days of Yugoslavia and 90's London, told by a somewhat strange character. There is also a very interesting insight into what (some) men think when it comes to relationship and even marriage.

KeyserSophie Thu 29-Dec-16 12:41:19

A Little Life. Set in NYC. Tells the life story of 4 men who become friends at college, but increasingly focuses on one of them who had a deeply traumatic childhood but goes on to become a successful lawyer. Unbelievably well written and very engaging.

9/10. Loses one point for being about 75-100 pages too long.

PhoenixRisingSlowly Fri 30-Dec-16 09:37:23

Shantaram but this only slightly pipped A Little Life to the post, both amazing reads.

OCSockOrphanage Sat 31-Dec-16 13:32:33

The Shepherd's Life, by James Rebanks, about Cumbria, Herdwick sheep, family, education and much more. 10/10, and the only book I reread as soon as I had finished it the first time.

Bruce Springsteen's autobiography may be another, but I haven't finished it yet.

SatsukiKusakabe Sat 31-Dec-16 13:33:38

HHhH by Laurent Binet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: