Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations for my dad

(7 Posts)
Fruitcocktail6 Tue 13-Dec-16 10:13:49

So, my dad conveniently has his birthday a few days after Christmas, so I need to stock up on presents!

He has a short attention span, reads a few pages at a time, and can't quite deal with too many characters as he forgets who everyone is.

The last book I got him to read was Birdbox, by Josh Malerman. So a horror, easy to read and couldn't put it down!

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas? If you've read Birdbox, can you think of anything similar?

Thanks!

Clawdy Tue 13-Dec-16 20:04:05

How about The Mistletoe Murders by PD James? It's basically four short stories with a crime theme, and had really good reviews.

Fruitcocktail6 Tue 13-Dec-16 20:41:57

That sounds like the perfect sort of thing, thanks smile

MsAmerica Sun 18-Dec-16 22:05:06

I agree - short stories. How about Roald Dahl?

If he liked 'Birdbox', he might also like 'Nod'. It's a bit more 'adult' in tone (some swearing and sex) but another short, apocalyptic-esque novel.

Raymond Chandler? His novels are pretty short.

Stephen King short stories?

Fruitcocktail6 Mon 19-Dec-16 14:03:59

I think he will have already read Roald dahl and Steven king. I loved Birdbox too and i haven't heard of Nod, I'll look it up!

pithivier Mon 19-Dec-16 14:30:47

What about the Count of Monte Cristo. Although it is a long book, it is a very easy read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now