Talk

Advanced search

HELP my nephew reads a book a day....

(19 Posts)
PosiePaRumPaPaPumParker Fri 09-Dec-16 17:22:59

He's amazing, he's 12 and has read pretty much everything (not literally) but all the classics, all the modern best sellers, literally reads a book a day.

He's reading Mark Thomas at the moment.

I want to get him something amazing for christmas.... like a library experience or something cool.

Any ideas?

SkaterGrrrrl Fri 09-Dec-16 17:27:15

He sounds wonderful.
A trip to Waterstones Piccadilly or similar to choose what he likes followed by tea in the café?
This is my idea of heaven by the way.

PosiePaRumPaPaPumParker Fri 09-Dec-16 17:31:42

That's a lovely idea.... but I don't have that sort of relationship with him. I think he'd find it awkward. I have four dcs, both older and younger than him.

Naoko Fri 09-Dec-16 17:33:43

I was that kind of twelve year old, and my favourite birthday gift was always the pile of book tokens that allowed me to go nuts in the bookshop. So I'd say Amazon vouchers (Amazon not Waterstones or Smiths, I know physical shops are nicer but as a voraciously reading 12 year olds it matters that online is cheaper because you get more books!).

Elllicam Fri 09-Dec-16 17:35:56

I agree Amazon vouchers smile I was similar at that age. I would suggest checking out kindle unlimited but recently cancelled mine as not impressed with their adult selection. Not sure about their teenage books.

PosiePaRumPaPaPumParker Fri 09-Dec-16 17:45:54

He prefers paper. He does have a kindle white.

OohhThatsMe Fri 09-Dec-16 17:52:56

Posie, I'm not sure what you should get him for a present, but tell him to have a look at NetGalley - he can ask for proof copies of new books and write reviews prior to publication. I think it's something he might well really enjoy.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 11-Dec-16 17:57:07

The independent book store in my local city has gift experiences you can buy, like a year of books in a bag, a personal shopping thing and recommendations that you then take home etc.

For books, how about a classic sci fi collection or similar, or a set of Discworld books. When I was that age I bought 1984 with my birthday money.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 11-Dec-16 17:57:29

And Brighton Rock.

impostersyndrome Sun 11-Dec-16 18:00:32

I second finding out if there's a local bookshop in his vicinity offering a gift card or credit deal with a book a month or similar.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 11-Dec-16 18:03:09

Where in the country are you? There is a shop in Bath that does a reading spa, may be over your budget but ypu could combine with his birthday present

NovaArt3mis Sun 11-Dec-16 18:10:22

A reading spa five fshock I've died and gone to heaven. Pricey but I'm definitely saving the link to convince DH I need a weekend away for my next birthday!

strawberrypenguin Sun 11-Dec-16 18:13:45

Does he like fantasy books if so I recommend David Eddings particularly the Belgariad and Malloreon series. Or Naomi Novak who writes a historical/fantasy mix

PosiePaRumPaPaPumParker Sun 11-Dec-16 18:28:27

Thank you all!!

Fabulous ideas. I went out and bought Brian Cox wonders of life ...

But definitely going to look into the reviews idea.

zig Mon 12-Dec-16 21:17:47

Have you seen the publisher Unbound? You can sponsor a book - often from a fiver - and packages include name in book through to meeting author. Worth subscribing to their mailing list and there may be a book that you think he'd like there.

Angelil Thu 22-Dec-16 20:51:56

all the classics? Sounds like he might need to move on to "grown-ups" classics/something more difficult.
I read Gone With The Wind when I was 12. Took me about 6 weeks. Not saying GWTW would be a 12yo boy's cup of tea but consider other things in terms of similar length and difficulty.
Unbound is a GREAT suggestion though. You can also get book subscription boxes iirc.

antimatter Thu 22-Dec-16 22:32:09

I can recommend what my dd loved reading at that age
Unlundun
Mister Pip
The boy in stripped pyjamas

Footle Sun 01-Jan-17 19:49:10

Watership Down has just been a huge hit with 10yr old around here - devoured in 3 days.

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 02-Jan-17 01:20:36

Here's Mr B's Reading Spa for those asking further up thread: www.mrbsemporium.com/info/reading_spa

At 12 I might have been too shy for it, but the run of a bookshop w/ a fistful of book tokens = bliss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now