Talk

Advanced search

What books have you requested for Christmas?

(27 Posts)
Cherrypi Thu 08-Dec-16 19:26:54

I love to read a new book on Christmas Day and I'm need of some inspiration. What have you asked for (or bought for yourself) this year?

LineyReborn Thu 08-Dec-16 19:28:54

I'm getting two books written by MNers, OohThatsMe and imperialbleather.

Clawdy Thu 08-Dec-16 22:08:06

I've asked for Golden Hill, by Francis Spufford, and The Mistletoe Murders by PD James. The book I've loved this year is All The Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr.

SatsukiKusakabe Fri 09-Dec-16 14:51:05

I'm asking for Lonesome Dove, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell, and a collection of Nora Ephron's non-fiction.

Sadik Fri 09-Dec-16 16:46:54

I've asked for Europe in winter by Dave Hutchinson, it's the third in the series, near future sci fi thrillers, so good for a light holiday read. I know my mum has got dd the sequel to long way to a small angry planet so will steal that when she's read it too

Lilaclily Fri 09-Dec-16 16:49:15

New Alan Bennett
New Margaret Drabble fsmile

WillWorkForShoes Fri 09-Dec-16 17:06:51

My list is
'Into the water' by Paula Hawkins
'The Fox and the Star' by Coralie Bickford-Smith
'The Penguin Lessons' by Tom Michell
'Five Rivers met on a Wooded Plain' by Barney Norris
'Disclaimer' by Renee Knight
'The Loney' by Andrew Michael Hurley
'Grief is the Thing with Feathers' by Max Porter.

If anyone wants to get me one, I'd be most grateful!

WillWorkForShoes Fri 09-Dec-16 17:07:24

Oh, and 'Cartes Postales from Greece' by Victoria Hislop.

SatsukiKusakabe Fri 09-Dec-16 17:14:45

I'd also like The North Water and a Maria Semple's new book but waiting for paperbacks or kindle editions

lemonpoppyseed Fri 09-Dec-16 17:20:30

Pretty Iconic by Sali Hughes. A little nostalgia and gorgeous pictures - perfect.

MermaidofZennor Fri 09-Dec-16 20:37:10

Alan Bennett's new book - is coming from DH.
Have bought for myself Bridget Jones's Baby, Hurrah For Gin and will wait and see if anything interesting in Kindle Christmas sale (assuming there will be one).

Cherrypi Sat 10-Dec-16 10:22:06

Ooh love the kindle Christmas sale. I do like a David Mitchell. Had Slade House last Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed that over the following days. The penguin letters is a great title.

Stiff Really hope that I get it!

I'd like "Golden Hill" too but will wait until it comes down in price a bit on Kindle, I think.

Murine Sun 11-Dec-16 01:45:02

I've asked for Hagseed by Margaret Atwood and Nutshell by Ian McEwan.

Nearlyadoctor Sun 11-Dec-16 08:04:11

I've asked for the new Liane Moriaty and Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall.
From the reviews I've read I expect it will take me January and February to get through the latter.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 11-Dec-16 09:08:13

I want Golden Hill now I've heard of it!

I think with Wolf Hall you either get on with the style or you don't - if you don't it's hard going, but I enjoyed it and read it fairly quickly once I got my eye in.

Murine Sun 11-Dec-16 19:03:52

Book people have Golden Hill for £3.99, part of a 4 for £18 deal on Costa's debut novels which I've pointed my DH at!

The Loney is £2.99 on there too, I treated myself to it while present shopping for others.

eddiemairswife Sun 11-Dec-16 19:10:26

Another one hoping for Alan Bennett.

JemimaMuddledUp Wed 14-Dec-16 06:41:24

Murine I have asked for those two too!

Have bought Alan Bennett for my DM.

auberginesrus Sat 17-Dec-16 10:53:32

I've asked for The Essex Serpent and His Bloody Project. To the poster who asked for The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, you're in for a treat fgrin, it's my favourite David Mitchell book.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 17-Dec-16 11:16:07

I've ordered My Brother's Keeper by Stanislaus Joyce (guess where I'm spending Christmas) and will be reading The Cursed Child with voices supplied by me, DS and DD. We do something similar every year and that seems a good choice.
I spend too much time on MN blush but I enjoyed Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks this year. Charity shop find.

Ladydepp Sat 17-Dec-16 22:50:56

Another Golden Hill request here.

Plus His Bloody Project, and Before the Fall

MsAmerica Sun 18-Dec-16 21:58:46

I would never request a specific book - or anything else - as gift. Seems to me that undermines the whole point of gift-giving.

But I love the idea of your settling down with a new book on Christmas day.

megletthesecond Sun 18-Dec-16 22:09:04

The Unravelling by Emma Sky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now