Talk

Advanced search

Commonwealth - Ann Patchett

(14 Posts)
AgentProvocateur Wed 07-Dec-16 12:55:59

I started this yesterday, and stayed awake until 3am to finish it - it's a library book (still just hardback). It's so beautifully written. I've not read any of her other books, but I will order one now.

TheCrowFromBelow Wed 07-Dec-16 14:12:06

Yes do! Bel Canto is one of the best books ever
I just read one about the jungle that I can't remember the title of and that was good as well

U2HasTheEdge Wed 07-Dec-16 17:06:23

I love her.

It's £11 on Kindle though shock

VanderlyleGeek Sat 10-Dec-16 03:00:29

Commonwealth is beautiful, a gem of a book. I think you'll really enjoy Bel Canto, too.

I saw Patchett speak a few months ago, and she's wonderful. smile

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Dec-16 10:56:26

Hope you don't mind me bobbing in here but just wanted to let you know that this Commonwealth will be our book of the month for June next year when it comes out in paperback and Ann Patchett will be joining us for a webchat to chat about this book and her others. I agree - I loved Commonwealth and indeed everything she writes - every book is so different. We're announcing the first 6 month's book club books later today and I'll post a link on this thread.

AgentProvocateur Mon 12-Dec-16 13:12:23

Ooh, thanks Rachel! Look forward to that.

AgentProvocateur Thu 15-Dec-16 11:30:51

Thecrowfrombelow - thank you for recommending the one about the jungle (State of Wonder). I'm reading it now, and thoroughly enjoying it.

MsAmerica Sun 18-Dec-16 22:00:11

As an aside - did you know she owns a book store?

www.parnassusbooks.net/ann-recommends

KubelkoBondy Mon 09-Jan-17 16:13:44

I love Ann Patchett. State Of Wonder and Run are also wonderful.

GeorgeHerbert Mon 09-Jan-17 18:29:27

I'm just reading Sate of Wonder and can't put it down! can't believe it has taken me this long to discover Ann Patchett.

Sgtmajormummy Mon 09-Jan-17 18:44:52

Bel Canto is a lovely book- so many of the characters resonated grin with me.
I'll keep Commonwealth in mind when it comes out in paperback

Murine Tue 10-Jan-17 08:13:40

I have Commonwealth reserved at my local library, I'm glad to hear it's excellent. Looking forward to it arriving even more now! Thanks for posting the link to the book store, MsAmerica, I've been enjoying reading her blog.

Wildernesstips Mon 06-Feb-17 07:07:37

The kindle version is £2.29 on daily deals today. I have been waiting for this one to drop in price for ages. Love Ann Patchett.

GeorgeHerbert Mon 06-Feb-17 19:19:12

Thanks Wildernesstips, just got it on kindle. Bargain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now