The Couple Next Door *may contain spoilers*

(12 Posts)
GetHappy Fri 25-Nov-16 17:01:15

Has anyone read this? I've just finished and wondered other people's views on this

LadyDeadpool Fri 25-Nov-16 17:10:45

I have! Incoming rant now - I hated it, I hated the way it seemed to stigmatise mental illness especially PND. It made me incredibly angry and I left a review saying as much on GoodReads but it seems most people disagree with me! I honestly had hoped we had moved on from such dated views.

LadyDeadpool Fri 25-Nov-16 17:13:48

Although if you're a member of "TBC" on FB I believe you are required to like it for membership of the group. <lighthearted moan about how everyone on there is a sheep with books by member authors>

YouHadMeAtCake Fri 25-Nov-16 17:15:15

It's on my list, what did you think of it?

GetHappy Fri 25-Nov-16 18:14:54

Thank you LadyDead Pool. I've just finished it and I feel like it was a load of rubbish but read all the good views on good reads. Completely agree about the PND to be honest most of it seem written by a amateur and the ending was awful!!

LadyDeadpool Fri 25-Nov-16 19:18:10

Glad to see someone else hated it! Everyone fawns over it but it tries too hard and it is painfully obvious the author has no experience with children especially raising them or mental health disorders.

YouHad It tries far too hard to step into Gone Girls boots, but I'm finding I'm having that problem with a lot of thrillers right now, they see the success of Gone Girl and Girl on the train and want the same thing but it means all the books are the same tired tropes and you see the twist coming a mile off.

YouHadMeAtCake Fri 25-Nov-16 22:38:01

Thank you Lady it's off my list now grin

AgentProvocateur Fri 25-Nov-16 22:45:00

I bought this for 99p on holiday from Book Bub, and I hated it. Predictable, cliched nonsense.

ChessieFL Sat 26-Nov-16 10:55:48

I wasn't a fan either.

GreenGinger2 Sun 27-Nov-16 08:59:34

It grew on me. Didn't like the stilted style or lack of depth to characters.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 02-Dec-16 10:36:48

What bemused me was that the husband's parents never featured. So granddaughter is kidnapped and nobody tells them, they never phone or turn up?

Clawdy Mon 05-Dec-16 12:39:03

I found the whole plot line totally unbelievable. I know there are always implausible bits in thriller novels, but this one stretched it well beyond! And that final chapter was a joke - just ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now