Recommend books like...

(13 Posts)
lananzack Mon 14-Nov-16 00:12:42

Discovery of Witches trilogy, Deborah Harkness (if you haven't read them, read them!)
And Outlander, Diana Gabaldon (got to the end of book 2 and realised there are 8 in the series and just thought ffs)

Basically back-int-day (1800's or before) novels, romance but not 'don't be so soft' kind of romance or just generally witchy and supernatural (not silly, though).
Don't all have to be in the same category, any of each will do!
Thanks in advance!

cdtaylornats Mon 14-Nov-16 11:20:41

Kim Harrison's Hollows series - first one is "Dead Witch Walking"

EverySongbirdSays Tue 15-Nov-16 01:16:08

The Night Circus

I loved Discovery Of Witches too

Fucking ridiculous but tremendous fun.

Her Fearful Symmetry or Time Travelers Wife maybe?

mistyegg Tue 15-Nov-16 18:56:19

The first fifteen lives of Harry August

RueDeWakening Tue 15-Nov-16 19:22:21

Debra Geary witchy books - there are 3 series, all set in the same universe with interconnecting characters.

Some Nora Roberts - Dance on Air/Heaven and Earth/Face the Fire trilogy springs to mind but there are others.

CoteDAzur Tue 15-Nov-16 23:14:14

"not 'don't be so soft' kind of romance or just generally witchy and supernatural (not silly, though)"

AIBU to have NO idea what any of that means? grin

lananzack Wed 16-Nov-16 13:35:16

Lol! CoteDAzur, I didn't know how else to word it!

Don't be so soft kind of romance - I mean not a weepy over-the-top love story, I just mean more of a snazzy sharp romance that won't make me cringe!

And not silly supernatural - I mean, erm, something you could imagine could exist (eg normal human looking wizard as opposed to the pointy hat, cloak and beard that touches his toes kind of thing!)

bookbook Wed 16-Nov-16 13:39:36

Look at Barbara Erskine - history and modern, bit spooky, great easy reading.

MermaidofZennor Wed 16-Nov-16 13:48:46

Have you read Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series? If not, then I would recommend them. As someone who doesn't particularly like fantasy, I still really enjoyed these.

Butterpuff Wed 16-Nov-16 14:11:56

I love the Rivers of London Series good fun. Also read the Discovery of Witches Trilogy but cant actually remember what they are about!

For romance with some gentle supernatural (though not witchy) I really like Susanna Kearsley too. The shadowy horses was a favorite when I was a teenager and has made me love the name Verity.

snozzlemaid Sat 19-Nov-16 21:25:39

Poldark books by Winston Graham.

dontevenblink Sun 20-Nov-16 09:07:18

I loved the discovery of witches books. Have you read any books by Kate Mosse? Her books are some of my favourites, I'm just rereading Labyrinth actually. Bit of the supernatural, I find they absorb me into the story much like the Deborah Harkness ones.

Sleeperandthespindle Thu 24-Nov-16 19:59:30

Nice thread as I like some of the same books here so will follow recommendations.

Have you read Alice Hoffman? She writes magical realism, mostly set in early-mid C20th New England. Not quite what you're asking but I love her books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now