Talk

Advanced search

Espionage novels with plenty of tradecraft/spycraft

(11 Posts)
brokenshoes Fri 11-Nov-16 16:33:09

I haven't read many spy novels, but when I have, the parts of the book that I particularly enjoy are the sections that focus on trade/spy craft (I didnt even know that term existed until watching the Andrew Marr series recently) - so the bits about how the agents contact each other/exchange information/move around to avoid being followed etc.

Any recommendations?

I quite enjoyed William Boyd's Restless.

Evariste Fri 11-Nov-16 17:25:14

Try Charles Cummings, also Stella Rimmington.

OCSockOrphanage Mon 14-Nov-16 14:41:33

If you can cope with Tom Clancy's politics (Poet Laureate of the Joint Chiefs) Cardinal of the Kremlin is good on tradecraft and realpolitik.

brokenshoes Tue 15-Nov-16 17:25:22

Thank you. I'll take a look at these suggestions.

PuppetInParadize Tue 15-Nov-16 20:42:53

As well as above, Henry Porter might fit the bill. Also Eric Ambler - though he's 'last century'. grin Nothing to beat John Le Carre too.

interstellarcloudofdust Tue 15-Nov-16 22:04:11

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes...one of my all time favourites.

OlennasWimple Tue 15-Nov-16 22:09:27

Alan Judd

Graham Greene

John Buchan for real old school trade craft

LadyCatherinesshades Fri 18-Nov-16 21:39:07

John Gardner's railton family novels and his herbie kruger series.
I am pilgrim is fantastic too

Sadik Sun 20-Nov-16 16:23:37

Do you only want novels? I found The New Spymasters absolutely fascinating, but it's real life rather than fiction.

cheapskatemum Sat 26-Nov-16 16:08:04

Very much last century (if not the one before), but I found both "The Secret Agent" and "Under Western Eyes" by Joseph Conrad fascinating. I would second Graeme Green, especially "Our Man in Havana" - topical! Also, James Bond books are different to the films. Enjoy!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 26-Nov-16 16:11:56

The Slough House books, great fun.

And another vote for Charles Cummings, I think CC might actually be better suited to what you want, Slough House is definitely great as well, juts different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now