Talk

Advanced search

Looking for recommendations for a good book

(14 Posts)
LilyElena Wed 09-Nov-16 15:12:18

Feeling oh so blue today, bloody Americans.
Anyone got any recommendations for a book I can get lost in and escape?

Books and authors I have previous;y escaped to: Jane Austen, Scandi Noir, The Robert Galbraith Books, Elena Ferrante, Harry Potter, His dark Materials, the walking dead comics, Lionel Shriver, Tales of the city, The Group,

I also (really revealing myself here) love the X files, and would appreciate anything in a similar vein.

Things I'm not interested in: Fifty shades of grey, paranormal romance, poorly written bestsellers like Dan Brown.

Anyone got any recs?

piebald Wed 09-Nov-16 17:13:02

I recently read A place called winter by Patrick Gale and thought it excellent
One thousand white women by Jim Fergus

tobee Wed 09-Nov-16 17:19:15

There was a great thread like this started after the Brexit vote. Great year so far, huh?

tobee Wed 09-Nov-16 17:21:03

Ahh! Can't find link atm, sorry.

Heratnumber7 Wed 09-Nov-16 17:23:48

Poldark?

chickensaresafehere Wed 09-Nov-16 17:24:13

The boy who could see demons by Carolyn Jess-Cooke is brilliant.

Sadik Wed 09-Nov-16 20:27:21

Mrs Gaskell? Cranford / Wives and Daughters / North and South?

VestalVirgin Thu 10-Nov-16 23:30:06

I recommend The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison and Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood by Patricia Briggs. Both of these have plotlines where horrible rulers die a more or less gruesome death and a decent person replaces them. Which might be just what you need. ;)

The Attolia series by Megan Whalen Turner might also have a similar plot if I am not guessing wrong. (Only read the first novel)

In The Imperial Radch series by Ann Leckie the protagonist sets out to take revenge on the tyrannic ruler of the universe - for if you feel a bit more aggressive.

(Of all those, I would say that The Goblin Emperor is most of a feel good novel; the others have somewhat more violence.)

wobblywonderwoman Thu 10-Nov-16 23:41:26

Mube might be older suggestions but I loved The Memory Keepers Daughter and the Light in the Window

Jane555 Fri 11-Nov-16 15:26:21

I read it, too, awesome novels

SirChenjin Fri 11-Nov-16 15:29:39

Second A place called winter by Patrick Gale. Also All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr - one of my all time favourites.

HappydaysArehere Sun 27-Nov-16 15:39:52

The Gift of Rain.

DabbyR Fri 02-Dec-16 09:06:40

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Kazplus2 Fri 23-Dec-16 20:25:45

Just read Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz and I really enjoyed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now