Talk

Advanced search

Your best ever book club choice?

(12 Posts)
petitdonkey Wed 02-Nov-16 20:24:01

Just looking for a new book for my book club and would love some suggestions. We have been together for years so have read quite a few - I don't need everyone to love the book, just something that promotes lively discussion and debate!
Some previous books that we have read and enjoyed talking about:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - very thought provoking
Blindness - a few people hated it but great discussion
The Help - when it first came out.
The Goldfinch - my all term favourite
The Snow Child - fab choice for a winter read

Loads of others but we will read anything!! Any suggestions welcome (and hopefully lots of inspiration for other book clubs!)

petitdonkey Wed 02-Nov-16 21:10:09

Bump...

Brainwashed Sun 13-Nov-16 19:14:48

Life after life and a God in ruins ...both by Kate Atkinson were universally loved by our book group.
Most recently we've read We are called to rise by Laura McBride which was a great read too.

mineallmine Mon 14-Nov-16 00:24:42

We just read the gustav symphony by rose Tremain and everyone loved it.

loinnir Mon 14-Nov-16 18:08:02

TheSlap

Not a "great" book - but created fiery discussion

HappydaysArehere Mon 14-Nov-16 22:28:18

All the Light We Cannot See.
The Gift of Rain.
A Tale For The Time Being. (Loved this one)

mistyegg Tue 15-Nov-16 18:58:57

The Reader by Bernhard Shlink

mistyegg Tue 15-Nov-16 18:59:12

Schlink

MermaidofZennor Tue 15-Nov-16 19:07:06

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid makes for some very interesting discussions.

NewUserName01 Wed 23-Nov-16 20:50:46

- 'Maus' by Art Spiegelman
- 'The Past' by Tessa Hadley
were the books that created the most conversation at our book group.

I think that '1Q84' by Haruki Murakami would be a good book to discuss. It's in 3 books so I'd probably suggest Books 1 and 2. I've read it and so have two other friends. We each enjoyed it but can't decide whether we really liked it! Lots to discuss.

SusanTrinder Wed 23-Nov-16 23:05:27

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves was a cracking read. Never would have picked it up myself but ended up glued to the page.

Mondaynightblues Thu 24-Nov-16 00:43:33

We Need to Talk About Kevin: discussed the book for pretty much the entire evening - unusual for our book group, one of my personal favourites

The Time Traveler's Wife: clever book that produced a good discussion

The Last Weekend by Blake Morrison is a good one for a book group: very readable, not too long, but plenty to discuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now