Talk

Advanced search

Anyone read Slade House?

(7 Posts)
dirtyprettything Sun 30-Oct-16 12:12:49

I absolutely loved it. I long for my childhood when I used to lose myself in books and forget the hours, this is the first in a long time that's taken me up so entirely.

Not sure how to describe - horror, fantasy, fairy tale?

I loved the way he plays with the readers expectations at each turn.

I'm off to seek out more David Mitchell.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 30-Oct-16 13:26:57

Yes, I enjoyed it on a really child-like level, too, just deliciously creepy.

Definitely read more - the plot and characters of The Bone Clocks has some crossover with Slade House (in fact all his novels interlink in some way) and is very engaging and readable. Cloud Atlas is extremely good, a little less accessible perhaps, more demanding but very rewarding, and more intricately structured.

Black Swan Green is a more typical 'coming of age novel'.

hackmum Sun 30-Oct-16 16:53:16

I enjoyed it immensely. He's such a good writer - he cares about the old-fashioned things like suspense.

elspethmcgillicuddy Mon 31-Oct-16 19:19:11

I accidentally read it today and really enjoyed it. I say accidentally as I live somewhere that is mentioned a fair bit in it. I went away on the train today and as I was returning it became mistier and mistier as we neared home. I then realised it was Halloween... I then was telling my Mum about how creepy all of this was when I bumped into a jogger in orange and black. shock

elspethmcgillicuddy Mon 31-Oct-16 19:19:48

I don't think I would have read it today if I had realised how creepy that would make it!

Cherrypi Tue 01-Nov-16 07:23:50

Yes loved it. One of my favourite authors. I must get round to reading cloud atlas.

GeorgeHerbert Wed 02-Nov-16 10:16:09

Yes, I loved it too! try Bone Clocks - long but I think one of his most accessible novels. I also loved 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. LOVE David Mitchell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now