Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SPOILERS Question regarding Girl On The Train SPOILERS

(14 Posts)
EverySongbirdSays Fri 28-Oct-16 00:20:44

So with Tom, when we know he's the culprit. It transpires that he was lying about ever being in the Army and also the truth about his being NC with his parents.

But were was he all the times he said he was with the Army pals? Did we ever find out? Bigamist or what?

Also if he had so much debt his parents had to bail him out how was he able to afford the house?

I felt like he became a bit of an unrealistic panto villain and was a bit Aye, OK then about the whole thing like Anna's dramatic attitude shift to Rachel as well.

CoteDAzur Fri 28-Oct-16 21:16:05

Um... I'd like to answer but don't remember that much detail about Girl On The Train.

DrScholl Fri 28-Oct-16 21:22:50

no mention of this in the movie

ChessieFL Fri 28-Oct-16 21:30:01

I must read this again, I read it last year and remember enjoying it but can't remember anything about the questions you've asked!

EverySongbirdSays Fri 28-Oct-16 21:51:53

Yeah!!! I've had replies!!

So Rachel goes round Anna's house, right near the end, Tom has gone out with the bag Anna found the phone in. Supposedly to the gym with the ex Army friends

Rachel : Have you ever met the Army friends?
Anna : No
Rachel : Me neither

Round up : Tom was never in the Army, failed to get in etc

WHERE WAS HE THEN?

Also told Anna his parents didn't speak to him because of the affair, but Rachel had never met them either. They fell out when they refused to remortgage their house to bail Tom out again so if he was financially insolvent and Anna was a SAHM how were they managing?

CoteDAzur Fri 28-Oct-16 21:58:05

"WHERE WAS HE THEN?"

I don't understand the question. Somewhere else that is not the Army? confused

Prison?

EverySongbirdSays Fri 28-Oct-16 22:01:05

All the times he clearly wasn't with his "Army friends"

CoteDAzur Sat 29-Oct-16 14:22:07

Does it matter (for the plot)? Sorry it's been a while since I've read the book and I don't remember that detail.

EverySongbirdSays Sat 29-Oct-16 14:28:18

No, technically not I guess, but that's part of what annoys me I think about "popcorn" thrillers, the characters do sometimes end up a bit lacking in rounded story, behaviour, emotions.

hackmum Sun 30-Oct-16 16:56:36

There is one major plot fail for me in the book, which is that Rachel keeps having these alcoholic blackouts. The plot development at the end relies on her suddenly being able to remember things that happened during the blackouts. In fact, if you have a blackout, it's because you've drunk so much that your brain is incapable of laying down memories, making it impossible to later recall stuff that happened. Apart from that, I did quite enjoy it - these books never make a lot of sense when you think about them properly.

Trills Sun 30-Oct-16 17:06:10

Another affair?

Trills Sun 30-Oct-16 17:07:36

hackmum you'll never enjoy any thrillers if you keep thinking logically like that grin

That's not how alcoholic blackouts work, Before I Go To Sleep is not how amnesia works, and if you hit someone on the head hard enough for them to pass out the probably won't just wake up and be fine later.

CremeBrulee Sun 30-Oct-16 17:12:42

I assume that when he was married to Rachel, the army friend time was when he was with Anna and other affairs and when he was married to Anna, army friend time was when he was shagging Megan amongst others.

hackmum Mon 31-Oct-16 18:38:29

Good point, Trills - I had to do an awful lot of suspension of disbelief to enjoy Before I Go to Sleep. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now