Talk

Advanced search

Iliad and Odyssey - best accessible translation for a new reader (aged 14)

(6 Posts)
TwinkleTwinkleLittleBat Thu 08-Sep-16 09:54:06

Dd is 14 and enjoys books. She's interested to read the Illiad and the Odyssey.

I was wondering which translation would be best suited to her.

I read them years ago at school but that was in a class with the teacher explaining the finer points. Dd just wants to read them by herself as the stories appeal to her. It would be nice at this stage if I could give her something that's not too impenetrable and which might put her off.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks! smile

TwinkleTwinkleLittleBat Thu 08-Sep-16 11:24:01

Small bump

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 08-Sep-16 11:25:56

I haven't looked at what's come out in the 20 years since I did them at university, but the E.V.Rieu Penguin classics were the most readable back then (and still very easy to get hold of).

I never got on very well with Richmond Lattimore.

TwinkleTwinkleLittleBat Thu 08-Sep-16 12:08:11

Thank you so much Countess smile. Yes, I'm pretty sure the Penguin ones were what I read too, and I got on OK with them.

Had a quick Google and others have said the similar about Lattimore.

TwinkleTwinkleLittleBat Thu 08-Sep-16 20:09:33

A bump for the evening crowd

nolly3 Sun 11-Sep-16 22:43:11

I think Peter Green has done a new Iliad, have a look at the London review of books review. I used to read tons of mythology when I was that age. Have you tried the Edward blishen/ Leon Garfield ' God beneath the sea' retelling of the Hephaestus myth? Or the ever great Robert Graves translation of the Greek Myths?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now