Alice Hoffman

(14 Posts)
Sleeperandthespindle Thu 18-Aug-16 16:57:20

I've just read 'The Story Sisters' over two days and really couldn't put it down. Even when I wasn't reading it I was thinking about it. I read 'The Museum of Extraordinary Things' last week which was great too, but not this good.

Has anyone read this and is the rest of Alice Hoffman's work as good?

GeorgeHerbert Thu 18-Aug-16 18:21:45

I love Alice Hoffman, have read everything except The Museum of Extraordinary Things. I loved 'Practical Magic' Blackbird House and Ice Queen particularly. It's difficult to go too wrong!

mmack Thu 18-Aug-16 18:31:50

I've read a good few of her books and my favourite is Here on Earth. I think anyone who likes The Story Sisters would love it. The Dovekeepers was brilliant but it's totally different from her other books-it's set in biblical times. I also really liked Turtle Moon and Seventh Heaven. She doesn't seem to be nearly as popular over here as she is in the US. I never see any of her books in second hand shops.

Sleeperandthespindle Thu 18-Aug-16 18:33:37

Thank you. I need to choose which one to download next. I'll look at your suggestions.

mmack Thu 18-Aug-16 18:36:47

I haven't read Practical Magic but I love the film.

Sleeperandthespindle Mon 22-Aug-16 21:03:58

I read Nightbird (finished this morning) which was very sweet but not in the same league as the other two I'd read. I think I'll try 'Here on Earth'. So exciting to discover a new author you love!

TenarGriffiths Mon 22-Aug-16 22:24:33

I remember reading The Story Sisters a few years ago. I read it three times in a row, back to back, I loved it so much.

Practical Magic, The Probable Future and Here on Earth are some of my favourites.

I've read most of her novels and would recommend them all, except The Blue Diary, I hated that one.

Sleeperandthespindle Tue 23-Aug-16 07:14:20

I realised Nightbird is meant to be YA fiction, which is why I didn't find it quite what I wanted.

Downloaded 'The Probable Future' so plan to neglect kids, house and work for another day...

Sleeperandthespindle Sat 27-Aug-16 18:06:06

I finished The Probable Future and really liked it. Now on The River King. Enjoying this binge reading!

MsAmerica Mon 29-Aug-16 00:56:03

I've not a huge fan, but I loved Property Of. (A rare example of my loving the simplicity of the language.)

us.macmillan.com/propertyof/alicehoffman

TenarGriffiths Wed 31-Aug-16 19:30:46

Happy reading, Sleeper!

Don't want to hijack the thread but...

While Alice Hoffman fans are gathered here, can anyone recommend any similar writers to Hoffman?

I've read some Sarah Addison Allen and found them to be a bit "Hoffman-lite." Similar sorts of stories, but not as well written.

I've read one Ann Tyler novel (When We Were Grown-Ups) and was really bored by it, but I realise I might have just been unlucky in my choice of book.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

mmack Thu 01-Sep-16 13:20:57

A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton is similar in style. Jacquelyn Mitchard, Sue Miller and Jane Urquhart might fit the bill. But if I had to recommend just one author to an Alice Hoffman fan I think I'd go with Ann Patchett.

TenarGriffiths Fri 02-Sep-16 00:31:16

Thanks mmack, I've not read anything by any of those writers. Hopefully I will soon!

magimedi Fri 09-Sep-16 09:49:22

I am halfway through The Probable Future - picked it up in the library & then saw this thread. I am enjoying it and, Tenar, she does remind me somewhat of Barbara Trapido if you want a similar author to try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now