Talk

Advanced search

Help me pick my next Audible book (politics? economics? sci-fi?)

(3 Posts)
Sadik Thu 18-Aug-16 21:40:23

I have read quite a bit of Larry Niven in the past (long time ago though, so I can't remember if I've read Ringworld) - but I think these days I find him a bit much of his time, IYKWIM?

OP’s posts: |
cdtaylornats Wed 17-Aug-16 22:19:30

www.amazon.com/Ringworld/dp/B000054595

Larry Niven's Ringworld the culmination of his Known Space stories

The Puppeteers are fleeing the galaxy when they spot a Dyson ring around a sun, so they gather a group to investigate - a team of two humans, a puppeteer and a kzin, eight-foot red-fur catlike alien.

The Puppeteer is insane, because he is brave enough to talk to other races, the Kzin is violent, Teela Brown is a human whose gene line has been manipulated by Puppeteers to breed for luck.

Sadik Wed 17-Aug-16 21:02:57

I was about to go for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, but have found Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson on the library audiobooks site, & have just finished The Difference Engine, so thinking JS/Mr N will be a bit too similar.

Really, I'd like a non-fiction book to balance things out - I enjoy politics / economics / human geography / popular maths books - have got The Box on my wishlist but it's not quite what I want right now. Otherwise maybe some straight sci-fi (loved the Ancillary Mercy series, for example). Recommendations for well-read audible-available books along these lines gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in