Talk

Advanced search

Help me pick my next Audible book (politics? economics? sci-fi?)

(3 Posts)
Sadik Wed 17-Aug-16 21:02:57

I was about to go for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, but have found Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson on the library audiobooks site, & have just finished The Difference Engine, so thinking JS/Mr N will be a bit too similar.

Really, I'd like a non-fiction book to balance things out - I enjoy politics / economics / human geography / popular maths books - have got The Box on my wishlist but it's not quite what I want right now. Otherwise maybe some straight sci-fi (loved the Ancillary Mercy series, for example). Recommendations for well-read audible-available books along these lines gratefully received!

cdtaylornats Wed 17-Aug-16 22:19:30

www.amazon.com/Ringworld/dp/B000054595

Larry Niven's Ringworld the culmination of his Known Space stories

The Puppeteers are fleeing the galaxy when they spot a Dyson ring around a sun, so they gather a group to investigate - a team of two humans, a puppeteer and a kzin, eight-foot red-fur catlike alien.

The Puppeteer is insane, because he is brave enough to talk to other races, the Kzin is violent, Teela Brown is a human whose gene line has been manipulated by Puppeteers to breed for luck.

Sadik Thu 18-Aug-16 21:40:23

I have read quite a bit of Larry Niven in the past (long time ago though, so I can't remember if I've read Ringworld) - but I think these days I find him a bit much of his time, IYKWIM?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now