Talk

Advanced search

Absorbing but not sad holiday read recommendations

(4 Posts)
RingUpRingRingDown Wed 17-Aug-16 13:22:02

I'm struggling to find inspiration for books to take on holiday. I've read a lot of so-so books lately and want something unputdownable.
Nothing about cancer, death, or dogs though.

Books/authors I love include:
All Jane Austen
Anna Karenina
Margaret Atwood (except sci-gi)
Rebecca
Anne Tyler
Graham Swift

Authors I've read but don't love (but often recommended on here):
Joanne Harris
Kate Atkinson
Dickens
Hardy
Georgette Heyer

ThomasRichard Wed 17-Aug-16 13:39:29

A court of thorns and roses

RingUpRingRingDown Wed 17-Aug-16 14:48:18

Not my cup of tea at all. Sorry!

DerelictMyBalls Wed 17-Aug-16 15:47:35

How about A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler? There is <spoiler alert> one death quite early on, but it's gently funny and has some great characters. There is a dog in it, but it has a very minor role and nothing bad happens to it. Or most of Anne Tyler's books, really: A Patchwork Planet, Celestial Navigation, The Accidental Tourist.

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier: a young British Quaker woman tries to make a new life for herself in 1850s America. One of those books that you learn a lot from without noticing.

Never Far From Nowhere by Andrea Levy - story of two West Indian sisters growing up in London. I love Andrea Levy and this is probably her most lighthearted offering.

The Wilding by Maria McCann - 17th century intrigue and romance.

The English Passengers by Matthew Kneale - I have lost count of how many copies I have bought, to give to people so that they can read it and then we can talk about it! It's about the people aboard a 19th century Manx sailing ship bound for Tasmania where it is believed the garden of Eden exists! Absolutely brilliant.

have a lovely holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now