Talk

Advanced search

The Girls by Emma Cline - it's a pretty good engrossing read

(15 Posts)
tripfiction Sun 14-Aug-16 16:41:07

Virtually every list of top Summer reads this year seems to includes this novel. So it was time to read it! Putting to one side the early pages (where I almost stopped reading), which were redolent of the new creative writing style - overstuffed prose with similes and adjectives - it morphs into a slow burning read, with menace looming. A drop-out cult in the late 1960s and how it gradually pulls people in. Where does it all end? Intelligent and thoughtful.

BennyTheBall Sun 21-Aug-16 10:05:45

I really enjoyed it and rather liked her writing style, possibly as I had just read something badly written.

Fizzywinegum Sun 28-Aug-16 18:17:04

I really enjoyed this as well. I thought it was very well written and self assured especially for a debut novel. Looking forward to reading any of her future books.

southeastdweller Mon 19-Jun-17 19:39:28

Didn't like this at all. Way too much description and the characterisation was lacking.

SavageBeauty73 Tue 20-Jun-17 15:03:57

I really didn't like it. I didn't even finish it and that's rare for me.

EmGee Tue 20-Jun-17 15:11:13

I didn't like it either. I did finish it but and was heartily glad when I did.

Lottapianos Tue 20-Jun-17 15:15:39

I read it on holiday in March and enjoyed it. Thought it was well written. There's a real sense of dread all the way through and you can feel the claustrophobia

whatwoulddexterdo Tue 20-Jun-17 15:33:13

Didn't like it didn't finish it. Hype over substance and one of richard and Judy's book choices which are always shite.
Still it's all subjective and plenty don't enjoy what I love.

piebald Tue 20-Jun-17 21:34:26

I hated it, thought it was a thoroughly unpleasant book

userblahblahwhatever Wed 21-Jun-17 21:20:34

I didn't get past the first chapter

CrownOfPrawns Thu 22-Jun-17 01:04:43

How many pages are "the early pages", OP? I've got to p85 and it hasn't grabbed me yet.
Finding it a bit repellent tbh.

Bookridden Thu 22-Jun-17 19:32:56

I must admit I got bored of it quickly. I read the first few chapters and the last few.

CrownOfPrawns Sat 24-Jun-17 13:17:27

Didn't think much of it at all. Dull dull dull. I skipped a lot in the middle. I would have abandoned it a lot earlier but it was lent to me by a friend, so I felt I ought to read enough to comment.

I agree with a PP that the characterisation is sketchy, didn't get any sense of the draw that these people exerted. There's no suspense as the outcome is given away very early on.
And the writing! It's so contrived and pretentious.
"The car ride was as slurred over and unbelievable as a long illness."
WTF?

MagicMarkers Mon 26-Jun-17 14:52:39

I didn't like the writing either. It had the style that you might find in a creative writing class.

southeastdweller Mon 26-Jun-17 14:55:12

Yes, agreed. A forced, unnatural style.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now