Talk

Advanced search

My all important sun holiday read - help me.

(12 Posts)
YesAnastasia Mon 11-Jul-16 18:15:22

I will take my kindle so it won't matter too much if I hate the book I choose (can just pick another) but I'd like to take a paperback too. I just do.

What should I read? I like weird stuff, mystery, time travel, crime to a certain extent, stories that are a bit dark and interesting concepts with twists.

Recommendations?

TeaMeBasil Mon 11-Jul-16 19:43:10

Have you read Ms Peregines home for peculiar children?

Cuppatea14 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:44:57

I've just finished The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman, thought it was fantastic. Lingered with me for days after i finished it. Very short is the only problem.

TeaMeBasil Mon 11-Jul-16 19:46:35

Our endless numbered days was very good, bit dark towards the end but kept me reading all the way through... Not much time travel tho wink

overthehillandroundthemountain Mon 11-Jul-16 19:46:57

Slightly off topic but Ms Peregrine's Home has been made into a film. Looks wonderful!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_IhWE4LP0

TeaMeBasil Mon 11-Jul-16 19:51:36

Yes, I watched the trailer the other day! Looks good!

Think they've changed a few things but that's pretty standard I suppose. Will still be watching grin

overthehillandroundthemountain Mon 11-Jul-16 19:51:44

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day - Winifred Watson - not dark, just funny

A Fraction of the Whole - Steve Toltz

Bohemond Mon 11-Jul-16 20:43:17

I'm enjoying The Lake House by Kate Morton. I thought it might be a bit derivative but I'm half way and still v interested. It's the first paperback I've had for years.

TeaMeBasil Mon 11-Jul-16 20:48:34

Oh I have that by my bed for when I finish my current book.

Loved all her others so was hoping Lake House was just as good!

VestalVirgin Mon 11-Jul-16 20:57:43

I'll just copy my recommendations from one of the escapism threads here; since you say you like weird stuff:

"A Brother's Price" by Wen Spencer. Takes place in a fantasy world that reminds me a bit of the Wild West but is ruled by a monarchy. Cheesy romance plot included. Rather small paperback, easy to read.

"Ancillary Justice" by Ann Leckie. The universe is ruled by some kind of space Romans who have an inexplicable fondness of tea despite not having much in common with Brits, and wear gloves all the time. Also, their language has no grammatical gender, and female pronouns are used for everyone.
Also, the protagonist is a spaceship A.I. who is out to murder the ruler of the world because that ruler of the world murdered someone dear to her. (Currently, the A.I. is in the body of a human woman, though.)

It's a trilogy, and you should be able to get them all from the library.

The Cealeno Series by Jane Fletcher is also among the weirdest books I know of, but might not be available as ebook.

YesAnastasia Mon 11-Jul-16 21:15:58

TeaMeBasil No, it's been on my wish list forever though. It's never reduced smile

cuppaTea I started The Ocean... but never finished it, I'll try again.

threestars Tue 12-Jul-16 13:05:29

I'm just finishing Foxlowe by Eleanor Wasserberg, which is quite a dark tale about a girl growing up in a commune. I love it, it's a compelling read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now