Jo Nesbo vs Mo Hayder [possible spoilers]

(15 Posts)
TheEagle Thu 07-Jul-16 18:18:30

So I'm about halfway through my first Mo Hayder novel, Birdman.

I saw her books recommended on here as scary reads.

Whilst there is no doubt but that it's gruesome, I'm not finding it as scary as I found Jo Nesbo's books.

Am I about to get clobbered in the second half of the book? I just found The Snowman and The Leopard much more chilling.

Thurlow Thu 07-Jul-16 18:25:32

Some Mo Hayder's scare me - The Treatment really freaked me out, but then I did read it while living just around the corner from where it was set.

But I'm probably completely biased on her stuff as I have a crush on Caffrey...

TheEagle Thu 07-Jul-16 18:40:15

I think I'm developing a bit of a crush on Caffery too, I have The Treatment lined up next ...

cdtaylornats Thu 07-Jul-16 20:17:39

I lent Pig Island to a friend, not allowed to lend him any more Mo Hyder.

TheEagle Thu 07-Jul-16 20:20:25

So maybe I'm reading one of the lesser scary ones? I'm usually terrified at this stuff and have to intersperse them with lighter reading m!

AndYourBirdCanSing Thu 07-Jul-16 20:23:13

The snowman really freaked me out when I read it a few years ago. I was pregnant when I read it so not sure if my hormones had any affect but I had to pace myself reading it!

I have one Mo Hayder but can't remember what it's called!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 08-Jul-16 21:29:42

I don't think Mo Hayder books are scary. I think they're disgusting. Pig Island made me feel sick, it was horrible. Bird man I didn't like at all, but I can't remember why.

I think Nesbo is a lot scarier. More chilling and more of a thriller style.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Fri 08-Jul-16 21:38:29

I won't bother with Mo Haydet.
Last one I read, Hanging Hill, was just plain stupid.

Mumonthesofa Fri 08-Jul-16 21:42:21

I like Mo Hayder, not tried Nesbo but I will do now! I think they are more chilling than scary...

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Fri 08-Jul-16 21:53:01

Oh and Wolf.
What a load of nonsense that was.

TheEagle Sat 09-Jul-16 08:05:29

mumonthesofa, if you like Mo Hayder then you'll definitely like Jo Nesbo.

Finished Birdman and it was good I thought but a lot of gratuitous nastiness. I think I'll read something light and fluffy before I venture back in to the world of Jack Caffery.

MaQueen Sun 10-Jul-16 17:25:27

I'd ride Jack Cafferey like a Blackpool donkey...

Wonder why Hayder hasn't released a new book this year?

taytotayto111 Thu 14-Jul-16 09:29:15

Sorry to crash in but I've read the snowman and if you think that's gruesome read a book called the gingerbread house, I can't remember who wrote it but my god it's amazing. I know the author is pretty new. I did want to read her follow up book as the gingerbread house was so good but the follow up book was about child abuse and I couldn't take it so I didn't read it. I haven't read any mo hayder books but now I will.

TheEagle Thu 14-Jul-16 18:43:08

Hmm, tayto, if you don't like child abuse as a topic then you should steer well clear of the Mo Hayder book "The Treatment". It's very disturbing. I slept with the light on the other night for the first time in ages after reading it.

taytotayto111 Thu 14-Jul-16 19:37:17

Omg theEagle thanks for the heads up !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now