Talk

Advanced search

Political fiction.

(21 Posts)
BestIsWest Sat 02-Jul-16 23:14:33

I'm currently agog with all the political shenanigans going on in Westminster and I love The West Wing and House of Cards on TV. Can anyone recommend any books with a political theme?

Thanks all.

TweeBee Sat 02-Jul-16 23:18:01

I noticed a couple of books by Gavin Esler in the library the other day. Ono saw titles as racing past following ds but they seemed political and IIRC he's a political journalist. Sorry this is very vague but maybe worth a look on Amazon for titles etc?

BestIsWest Sat 02-Jul-16 23:20:51

Of Newsnight fame. Of course. They look just the kind of thing. Added to my wish list.

OlennasWimple Sat 02-Jul-16 23:25:42

The Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister books are hilarious

The House of Cards books are OK

Trollope (if you are interested in bygone politics)

TweeBee Sat 02-Jul-16 23:31:51

Ah yes, Newsnight!

MermaidofZennor Sun 03-Jul-16 06:28:24

A Very British Coup by Chris Mullin? I remember it being turned into a tv series quite a long time ago as well. The book is currently 99p on Kindle.

figginz Sun 03-Jul-16 06:36:11

All The King's Men is (long but) brilliant

BestIsWest Sun 03-Jul-16 08:45:04

Theses are great, keep them coming.

cdtaylornats Sun 03-Jul-16 12:09:51

Can't recommend a book but if you like The West Wing try Madam Secretary

BestIsWest Sun 03-Jul-16 14:40:20

Good call there with Madame Secretary - we watched it not long ago. Very good.

venusinscorpio Sun 03-Jul-16 15:30:33

A very British Coup the TV series was on 4OD last time I looked.

MermaidofZennor Sun 03-Jul-16 20:03:39

Didn't realise it was still available, on 4OD. Quite fancy watching that again smile

highlandcoo Sun 03-Jul-16 21:50:40

What A Carve Up by Jonathan Coe, a satirical novel set in the 80s, is excellent.

cressetmama Wed 06-Jul-16 21:18:28

John le Carre? IMO it's hard to divorce politics from realpolitik.

ilovemyteddy Wed 06-Jul-16 21:45:39

First among equals by Jeffrey Archer is a really good political thriller, although written some time ago. Andrew Marr's novel Head of State is very contemporary, although I have to say I didn't really like the writing style.

BestIsWest Wed 06-Jul-16 21:58:41

I did love Jeffrey Archer back in the day, I was half thinking about his books when I started the thread. Say what you like about the man, he did tell a good yarn.

I'm finding it hard to do any actual reading at the moment as I'm still spending all my time on the politics threads here and on Twitter etc. It's fascinating but horrible at the same time. Saving all these recommendations on my Amazon wish list for when it all quitens down though it doesn't look like that will be any time soon.

KeithLeMonde Fri 08-Jul-16 17:07:27

Robert Harris is good, I like his books about Cicero which are about political ambition and skulduggery but obviously set in ancient Rome rather than now smile

+1 for A Very British Coup

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld.

Does The Line of Beauty count as a political novel? Probably not, but it is a great read with 80s politics as backdrop.

Also have been meaning to read Primary Colors and not got round to it yet, it's supposed to be good though not fiction. All the Presidents Men is a great bit of writing though again not fiction.

BestIsWest Fri 08-Jul-16 17:15:38

Ah was Primary Colours the one that was supposed to be about Bill Clinton? I remember reading that many years ago.

KeithLeMonde Fri 08-Jul-16 18:05:56

Yes it is Best. Looks like a good one for OP as she's a West Wing fan (as are all the best people smile ): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_Colors_(novel)

Ohlalala Tue 12-Jul-16 10:12:52

If you want to combine politics and history, how about Wolf Hall by Mantel?
I, Claudius by Graves?

slightlyglitterbrained Sun 17-Jul-16 00:09:01

Alternate history: The Summer Isles
by Ian R. MacLeod

Protagonist is a closeted gay teacher in a Fascist post WW1 Britain where Germany won the war.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now