AIBU to find it a bit annoying when series completely change their covers halfway through?

(12 Posts)
PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 06-Jun-16 14:18:00

I know it's the contents that are important, but series are rarely more than five/six books. Would it be that hard to keep them the same design (or even size!)?

It's my Artemis Fowl ones that are annoying me today (I've been re-ordering my shelves). They're all first editions, so the cover that each book started off with. The first three are the same, the fourth a bit different and then after that they are a completely new design, it almost looks like a completely different series. The author's name goes to a completely different place too.

Lots of series I have are a mixture of paperback and hard back, but that doesn't annoy me nearly as much as long as the style is consistent!

tobee Mon 06-Jun-16 17:02:58

No, definitely not aibu. I feel the same. Glad I'm not the only one. Would never dare to say this normally!

Ohwoolballs Mon 06-Jun-16 17:05:38

I sell books and it royally narks me off!

iklboo Mon 06-Jun-16 17:10:04

It really annoys me. I've got something like 10 books in one cover style and the latest three in the we one that doesn't match at all & looks, well, crap to be honest.

CrossfireHurricane Mon 06-Jun-16 17:22:31

It makes me so cross......but very relieved others feel the same smile

onemouseplace Mon 06-Jun-16 17:27:28

Yup - infuriates me as well.

The changing of the size thing really gets my goat - in my skint teenage years when I was really into fantasy novels I would never have the cash to buy the hardback version of a new release in a series, but would be so desperate by the time they released the paperback that I would buy the slightly larger paperback version for the extra £1 or something before they released the normal size paperback.

I was so happy when DH and I pooled our books and realised that I could make a matching set!

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 06-Jun-16 20:12:28

Oh good, I'm so glad it isn't just me!

On a related note, my godparents bought me the Narnia books for consecutive birthdays and Christmases when I was 9 or 10. The first four they bought were all the same style (the colour illustrated ones, slightly taller than a normal paperback and really lovely) then for the last three bought completely different ones confused

Roobix04 Mon 06-Jun-16 20:15:59

Yanbu! I'm trying to complete my own collection of Raymond Feist's Midkemia series instead of always borrowing my dad's. There's 30 books and I'm trying to get them all before they change the bloody covers again!

tobee Mon 06-Jun-16 20:55:06

I particularly loved the illustrated Narnia books that I borrowed from the library as a child, hardbacks with illustrations down the side of the writing iirc. Got given the paperback box set. Still great, but not as special!

NotCitrus Mon 06-Jun-16 20:58:26

Yes! I only bought one Iain Banks book once they stopped being the nice black and white covers and went to some flimsy paper with banal flimsy covers.

TabbyM Tue 07-Jun-16 12:25:58

This really annoys me. I have all the Temeraire books - the first was released in the UK as paperback only, the next 4 or so have similar in dragons on cream covers and are in hardback then round about Crucible of Gold only the US version was available, then the UK versions in paperback all changed... The last one is out soon!

US deckle edged HBs are odd

ChessieFL Tue 07-Jun-16 12:54:22

I hate this too. I have different size books on different shelves and it irritates me that some authors are split over separate shelves because earlier books were a different size. I wish I had the money to re-buy so they all match!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now