City of mirrors spoiler thread.

(16 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 03-Jun-16 18:00:35

Here we go.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 03-Jun-16 18:04:45

I'm confused as to how come Peter died, he was turned into a viral so how come he died?

How did Amy live for over 1000 years? She was a viral, but then became mortal again in the water didn't she? The book mentioned her aging after the water incident so I assumed she would carry on aging as normal but obviusly didn't.

I'm confused over the garden thing with Carter and Amy gardening every day while they were virals in the ship. What was this supposed to represent. Who was the woman (Rachel?) who came back to Carter near the end, and who were the two girls watching films in the house? It's been so long since I read the last books im not sure if I'm supposed to remember them.

Sounbelievablydull Fri 03-Jun-16 18:52:29

I think they were the family he worked for in the first book??? Although like you it's a while since I read it.
I took it that as Peter was a superior being and had this great love that somehow overcame the entire conversion to ? Virility???
She says that he went out at night implying he was still viral
I suppose we always knew she was special hence the long life
I really wished the whole fanning in love element had not been introduced- getting stood up didn't really seem a justifiable reason to obliterate the entire human population??

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 03-Jun-16 19:08:25

I liked the Fanning back story. He never set out to obliterate the human race. The fact he agreed last minute to go to Panama as he was worried about the police catching up with him and then he was infected......it was more that which caused it rather than being stood up I thought.

Though I guess the being stood up led to the murder.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 03-Jun-16 19:09:31

Yes, the family he worked for previously rings a bell.

Think I will leave it six months and then go and reread them all one after another.

Sounbelievablydull Fri 03-Jun-16 22:02:18

I have loved these books but to me this was the weakest.
It was almost as if he was trying to justify something that was totally unjustifiable
While the science experiment s that went horribly wrong were possible to understand the idea that fanning was a love lorn tortured soul who was constantly thinking of Liz was very hard to believe - of course swirling vitals were totally credible!- .
I think he stretched it out a but

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Fri 03-Jun-16 23:21:03

Oh I thought this was the best. The twelve I thought was weaker. This one started off a bit slow, but that may be because I was very confused as to who was who as its been so long since the last one that I'd forgotten!

TheWitchwithNoName Sat 04-Jun-16 10:48:00

Rachel was the lady Carter was incorrectly imprisoned for killing before he was turned into one of the 12. The children are hers and the homestead when Carter and Amy are there is in Carters mind. After he dies it's his heaven along with Rachel.

Amy made Peter her viral after Fanning was killed. I guess that didn't give him as long as life as her. Not sure about Amy gardening, I guess that was something to do whilst waiting to be found again.

It's Michaels thread that isn't tied for me. Sailing off to find England or France - I want to know what happened!

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sat 04-Jun-16 14:53:47

Oh yes Michael at the end sailing off East towards Europe.

I'm guessing from the epilogue there was nobody left in Europe because 1000 years on all the population seemed to be descended from the island people?? Maybe there will be a side story book in the future??

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sat 04-Jun-16 14:56:41

Ive just tweeted Justin Cronin to ask what happened to michael? Looks like he does sometimes respond to tweets.

Sounbelievablydull Sat 04-Jun-16 17:19:38

I'm sure you are right and a spin off book will follow re Micheal
I'm a bit lost now about what to read next tbh
I see he has written a couple of other books anyone read them?

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sat 04-Jun-16 17:30:35

Ive never been tempted by his other book.

Am also struggling to find something else to read. Just feel a bit deflated at the minute, like nothing else will measure up so why bother?

HopeArden Sat 11-Jun-16 23:01:55

Can I recommend 'The sudden appearance of Hope' by Claire North. It is about a woman who people forget as soon as they stop looking at her. Just read this after finishing the Cronin books and it has helped me to feel slightly less bereft. I hate finishing a series.

HopeArden Sat 11-Jun-16 23:04:46

I liked the Fanning back story, especially the destruction of the whole world hinging on the fact that Liz dies on the train. If only she'd met him, or had the courage to leave Lear in the first place, it wouldn't have happened.

I got all tearful when Amy carved the names onto the stone.

nebulae Mon 13-Jun-16 16:39:31

I've just finished it and I loved it. I was gutted when I realised I'd finished it though, I was hoping there'd be another chapter. I really wanted to know what happened to Circuit.

The only bit I didn't like was Fanning getting his happy ending with Liz (in the afterlife I presume). I don't think he deserved it. I know he was heartbroken when she died but that didn't excuse everything he did.

I think there's scope for more books. I'd love to hear more about what happened to Caleb, Pim etc after they got to the island. How did they rebuild a society that sounded very much like our own? On the subject of which, after a thousand years wouldn't you expect that society to have evolved/changed somewhat? Maybe that bit wasn't very well thought through.

The other thing I'd have really liked is more of a scientific explanation of what the virus was, where it came from, how it worked, why Amy was so different etc. I like the nerdy science stuff in theses types of books.

I also cried when Amy carved the names in the stone and it's not often a book makes me cry.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 20-Jun-16 20:03:58

I can't believe it!

I'm about 85% through the passage - never would have thought from the title I had stumbled on a thread about my current book!

Now to abstain from reading spoilers....!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now