Talk

Advanced search

Janeites - Reading Lady Susan (and Love and Freindship)

(9 Posts)
PerspicaciaTick Sun 29-May-16 21:29:19

I took myself off to the cinema on my own yesterday to see the very, very wicked Lady Susan in "Love and Friendship". I had a lovely time, she is such an absolute bitch and the cast were great. Not a perfect film but very enjoyable. The most fun I've had watching a Jane Austen adaptation in years.

In fact it was enough to inspire to dig out my rather dusty and unloved copies of Lady Susan and also Love and Freindship. I intend to spend this evening alternately fainting and running mad.

Anyone else very glad that this film has been made?

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 30-May-16 14:58:04

I'm looking forward to seeing this film. I did wonder if Kate Beckinsale was too cosmetically enhanced to look believable in the role.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 30-May-16 15:11:47

Kate Beckinsale is great. She looks lovely, get gowns are gorgeous (loved the colour progression over the film) and she is very believable. She delivers her lines with a lot more conviction and panache than the rest of the cast and rightly so.

Clawdy Mon 30-May-16 19:48:30

Will be interesting to see Kate B in a proper acting role after so many years. She went from being a really good actor to becoming a Hollywood Barbie after her second marriage.

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 31-May-16 09:37:32

Looking forward to seeing this, has great reviews. Kate Beckinsale was good in Emma years ago, agree she was promising then all but disappeared. Beautiful woman.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 31-May-16 10:18:12

Good to hear she puts in a good performance Perspicacia. I'd almost forgotten that she could act as she seems to have spent the last decade posing on red carpets as a tanned and botoxed Hollywood bot. But she was on Graham Norton last week and was very clever and witty. Hopefully this will be a career resurgence for her.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 31-May-16 10:31:59

I must admit to having had almost zero awareness of KB (knew the name that was about it) and am rather wondering why I've not noticed her before (probably due to a lost decade of animated kids films).

Clawdy Tue 31-May-16 11:17:13

She was married to the lovely Michael Sheen, then met Len Wiseman and moved to America to become a Hollywood Barbiedoll posing in bikinis with "Mrs Wiseman" written across the bottom! It was as if she had a complete personality change.

Just re-read Lady Susan in preparation for the film. KB was brilliant as Emma - one of the best Austen adaptations ever.

Didn't love the book though. I found the letter form grating, and it all quite repetitive. Wonderfully cutting though, and the woman was an absolute genius, so it was interesting to see this as a stage in her development as a writer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now