Just got back in to reading and need some recommendations

(15 Posts)
MrPony Tue 24-May-16 17:49:40

For various reasons I stopped reading for a few years, really missed it but just didn't have the concentration for it.
I started reading the girl on the train a few weeks ago and raced through it. I've now finished the Martian and loved that too, what could I read that will grip me next?

I love a thriller or crime scene sort of thing but am open to suggestions as long as it's the sort of book you can't put down.

Caridge Tue 24-May-16 19:07:33

Just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn would recommend x

ManonCrempog Tue 24-May-16 19:09:14

Just finished What a Way To Go by Julia Forster- it's a coming of age eighties book but is just beautifully written.

MermaidofZennor Tue 24-May-16 19:15:12

Try Belinda Bauer's thrillers. Start with the Exmoor trilogy - Blacklands, Dark Side and Finders Keepers. They are really good.

Angelto5 Tue 24-May-16 19:23:04

I'm the same as you op.
I haven't read a whole book in years but my dm gave me house rules by Jodie picoult (sp?) & so far I'm hooked.
Also every chapter is quite sort (just over 2 pages some of them).

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 24-May-16 19:23:06

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

The Magpies by ... Can't remember

Both good thrillers.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 24-May-16 19:23:28

Mark Edwards I think!

jamenhej Tue 24-May-16 19:25:06

The Rosie Project

MrPony Tue 24-May-16 19:59:15

Thanks for the recommendations, will look them up.

Is the Rosie project chick lit? I can never get in to them. I really enjoy something quite gritty, or even a horror. The main thing at the moment is that it can't have big dull bits to get past as I'm still getting in to the swing of it.

MakingJudySmile Tue 24-May-16 20:26:50

If I look at the '100 Mysteries and Thrillers to Read in a lifetime' list on Goodreads

www.goodreads.com/list/show/73283.100_Mysteries_and_Thrillers_to_Read_in_a_Lifetime_Readers_Picks

I've rated these four or more:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Chritie
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
Room by Emma Donoghue
Body of Evidence by Patricia Cornwell

You might like Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn if you enjoyed Girl on a Train.

DoorbellsSleighbellsSchnitzel Tue 24-May-16 20:39:59

No coming back - Keith Houghton
Behind Closed Doors - (not sure of author)
A few years old but great reads if you've not read them already are Sister and Afterwards both by Rosamund Lupton and Room by Emma Donaghoe...

CoteDAzur Tue 24-May-16 21:25:05

Lexicon.

Red Rising.

Ready Player One.

highlandcoo Thu 26-May-16 08:54:32

The Black House by Peter May. Crime mystery set in the Hebrides. With two more to follow if you enjoy the first.

Child 44, about a Soviet serial killer, by Tom Rob Smith. Grisly at the start but very gripping.

Different, although also a mystery, I really enjoyed The Observations by Jane Harris (and recommend it to everyone)

useyourimagination Thu 26-May-16 08:59:43

The Teacher by Katerina Diamond - excellent thriller, a little bit gory in places, nothing to do with teaching. I read it in two sittings.

MrPony Thu 26-May-16 16:23:10

Thanks everyone, making a list of what I like the sound of.

I love gory, will definitely give that a whirl.

I got reason to stay alive today as a filler, has anyone read it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now