Please help me identify this book/ story

(12 Posts)
Puffinity Sat 07-May-16 21:05:55

When I was at secondary we read a book/ short story that I thought was Oranges are not the only fruit, but have since found out wasn't (I think). In the book/ story (we had photocopied readers, so not sure what it was), the main character (a girl/ woman IIRC) is gay, but being gay is the predominant sexual orientation, and being straight is unusual but becoming more accepted. I remember a line that went something like "You saw them everywhere nowadays, being completely open about it" - referring to straight couples. I would really appreciate it if you could help me figure out what this was. Maybe it was Oranges are not the only fruit, I am pretty sure we read that, but having read plot summaries of that, this doesn't seem to fit. Thanks for your help!

Claraoswald36 Sat 07-May-16 21:08:42

Was it brave new world?

Puffinity Sat 07-May-16 21:14:22

Have just read a plot summary for Brave New World, and it doesn't ring any bells. Was planning on reading it anyway though, so that should rule it in/ out for sure.

CustardLover Sat 07-May-16 21:33:04

I don't know what it is I'm afraid but it's not BNW. Good luck!

KindDogsTail Sun 08-May-16 12:03:37

I am sorry Puffinity I don't know this book but will look out for it.

KurriKurri Tue 24-May-16 21:25:18

Is it on this list ?

here

iklboo Tue 24-May-16 21:30:16

Love Is All You Need? Or was that a film?

Puffinity Tue 24-May-16 22:05:24

KurriKurri, you're a star!!! It's a short story called 'Straight Fiction', from Heavy Water and Other Stories by Martin Amis.

Here's the quote: 'Of course you saw it all the time these days (downtown, anyway), straights kissing in public, on the lips and everything - open mouthed, even with tongues, like a demonstration.'

THANK YOU SO MUCH, this has only bothered me for the past 15 years!

CalleighDoodle Tue 24-May-16 22:07:16

Love is all you need is a short film. Fantastic. It is on youtube. Really well done. Didnt know it was a book.

CalleighDoodle Tue 24-May-16 22:12:03

Oh missed a post. It isnt a book.

KurriKurri Tue 24-May-16 22:21:19

Oh that's great - really pleased you've found it at last smile

Puffinity Tue 24-May-16 22:42:46

Yes, vv pleased! I'm a bit shock that we read it in school though - it's quite sexually explicit smile Great story though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now