Talk

Advanced search

The new Hilary Mantel - any news?

(6 Posts)
Clawdy Tue 26-Apr-16 17:02:56

Like lots of people, I can't wait for the third Cromwell novel. I went to see Hilary Mantel at a literary festival over two years ago,and she talked about it, and how she had already planned the last chapter. I know she was busy with the dramatizations, but is there any news about a publishing date yet?

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 26-Apr-16 17:09:51

In an interview last feb she said she was going to concentrate on it from the end of the summer and from then she estimated 12-18 months.

Can't find anything more recent.

Terramirabilis Tue 26-Apr-16 17:12:56

Me too, Clawdy. Can't wait to read it.

Duckdeamon Tue 26-Apr-16 20:27:58

Ooh came on here to look for this!

She answered my Q in the MN webchat, was v happy about that. It was a good webchat.

Can't wait for the third one but will be sad.

angry Henry VIII

Marginalia Wed 27-Apr-16 10:15:38

Unfortunately the -not very good RSC adaptation took up her time for about two years, which meant she didn't start writing.

However, a recent 'Day in the Life of' in the Grauniad suggests that once she's on the job, it's not that she's flitting about doing the odd bit of scribbling. grin

www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/16/hilary-mantel-my-writing-day

I used to be a late starter, but now I get up in the dark like a medieval monk, commit unmediated scribble to a notebook, and go back to bed about six, hoping to sleep for another two hours and to wake slowly and in silence. Random noise, voices in other rooms, get me off to a savage, disorderly start, but if I am left in peace to reach for a pen, I feel through my fingertips what sort of day it is. Days of easy flow generate thousands of words across half a dozen projects – and perhaps new projects. Flow is like a mad party – it goes on till all hours and somebody must clear up afterwards. Stop-start days are not always shorter, are self-conscious and anxiety-ridden, and later turn out to have been productive and useful. I judge in retrospect. On flow days, I have no idea what I’ve written till I read it back. It’s a life with shocks built in.

I don’t mind whether I write by hand or on a keyboard. I don’t mind anything, as long as I’ve woken up calmly in my own time. I’m a long thinker and a fast writer, so most days I don’t spend much time at my desk. I concentrate well. I’m not tempted by the internet. If I’m redrafting, fine-tuning, I print the text and take it away to read it on paper. But if I’m writing straight on to the screen, I tense up till my body locks into a struggling knot. I have to go and stand in a hot shower to unfreeze. I also stand in the shower if I get stuck. I am the cleanest person I know.

Clawdy Wed 27-Apr-16 14:59:37

I read that Marginalia but it made me wonder why it is still taking so long. Not even a publication date some months ahead. I suppose another problem is that it is so long awaited and people (like us!) are so looking forward to it, so there is real pressure on her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now