We were liars by E Lockhart ...

(12 Posts)
Bellatrixurstrange Thu 14-Apr-16 20:20:15

Just finished this and wept like a fool. Can anyone recommend any books to read next?
I like psychological, crime thrillers and dystopian stuff. I enjoyed Girl on the Train, Gone Girl, Luckiest girl in the world, Keep your friends close that kind of thing. I do not mind young adult fiction either - I'm not pretentious about the intended audience and my very old actual age.

I also loved His Dark Materials, Game of Thrones etc. I enjoy books which have twists, deliberately misleading etc.

Any suggestions very heartily welcomed on my breaks from the gardening.

noeuf Thu 14-Apr-16 20:22:24

Loved this so much. Really really drawn into it. I didn't guess any of it. Have you read The Greengage Summer?

Bellatrixurstrange Thu 14-Apr-16 20:26:24

No I haven't! Oh I'm so glad someone else got drawn into it too! I think the book will stay with me and as soon as I finished I re-read it just as predicted on the blurb on the back of it. I cried and cried! Emotional fool! I will definitely try The Greengage Summer, thanks!

whatamidoinghereanyway Fri 15-Apr-16 06:56:38

I remember being bowled over by this book and didn't guess either! In fact in a rare occurrence I might re-read!

Bellatrixurstrange Fri 15-Apr-16 09:43:49

WhatamIdoinghereanyway It will stick with me for a while I know that for certain!

traviata Thu 21-Apr-16 12:02:37

The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

Bellatrixurstrange Thu 21-Apr-16 12:12:59

Thanks traviata

traviata Thu 21-Apr-16 15:26:50

and you have probably already read the big sister of them all, 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt?

If you enjoyed that, you might also like 'The Goldfinch' by her - it's less like 'We Were Liars' in my opinion, and more rollicking, more Dickensian, more of a yarn.

whatamidoinghereanyway Thu 21-Apr-16 17:04:08

That funny because the last 3 books mentioned are 4 of my favourites smile

Bellatrixurstrange Fri 22-Apr-16 10:37:27

No I haven't read The Secret History! shock Sounds right up my street! I'm excited to get all these recommendations! Thanks everyone who has posted!

GetAHaircutCarl Fri 22-Apr-16 18:53:48

Have you read The Girl With All The Gifts?

Xander09 Sun 01-May-16 07:52:48

I've just got this & will get stuck into it soon, sounds like a great read!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now