Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Books for DH

(13 Posts)
fatowl Sun 10-Apr-16 16:40:39

Can anyone recommend anything?

He is getting back into reading after a bout of depression. We live overseas and books are limited and expensive, but I am in the UK next so I have Amazon at my fingertips and it's his birthday when I get back.

He has recently loved The Martian and The Revenant. Currently devouring the Pittacus Lore Lorien Legacies that DD gave him.
Traditionally he's enjoyed crime thrillers and biographies.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 10-Apr-16 16:51:17

If he likes crime then Anne Cleeves Shetland series is good as is Peter Mays trilogy starting with The Blackhouse

DH seems to have completely given up one reading but The Monuments Men seems to be engaging him at the moment.

I like scandal thrillers so Jo Nesbo and Henning Mankell would be on the list as well as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the following two.

If he wants to try something different then William Boyd is worth looking at.

I am not massively into biographies but have a hankering to read Keith Richards one which has been out for a few years.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 10-Apr-16 17:03:00

Just looking at my amazon pages of books.

Philip Kerr and the Bernie Gunther novels are really good as is The Boys in the Boat which is about the American rowers in th 1936 Olympics, sounds dull but I really enjoyed it.

Christopher Brookmyer, again quirky crime novels

magimedi Sun 10-Apr-16 17:08:05

Charles Cumming writes great spy thrillers.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 10-Apr-16 17:10:19

John Le Carre as well

YY to Philip Kerr - the first one is called 'March Violets' iirc.
I recently enjoyed 'The Spy Who came in From the Cold'.

William Ryan's 'The Holy Thief' is set in Stalin's Russia and well worth a read. It's the first in a series.

andadietcoke Sun 10-Apr-16 17:44:01

I've recently read the three Robert Galbraith ones, Girl on the Train and the Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham which is essentially 3 or 4 novellas all tied together.

bookbook Sun 10-Apr-16 17:50:56

YY to Charles Cummings and Philip Kerr
I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes
Peter May
James Oswald

SatsukiKusakabe Mon 11-Apr-16 08:52:13

Yy William Boyd
My dh likes the Flashman Chronicles occasionally for something historical yet silly lighthearted

Also C J Sansom, the Shardlake series and Dominion.

Quogwinkle Mon 11-Apr-16 09:20:47

The Shardlake novels are brilliant, if you also love Tudor history (which I do). I've only recently discovered William Boyd, and loved Sweet Caress. My dad used to enjoy Sebastian Faulks's novels - would they be the sort of thing your DH might like? Also, the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson, The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid, Ian McEwan's novels?

tumbletumble Mon 11-Apr-16 11:22:29

If he likes scientific biographies, and enjoys something quite substantial that he can really get his teeth into, I would recommend:

The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Quantum Genius by Graham Farmelo
Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges

highlandcoo Mon 11-Apr-16 22:26:10

On a more light-hearted note, have a look at The Restraint of Beasts by Magnus Mills. Really amusing in a dark way .. DH and friends enjoyed it.

fatowl Tue 12-Apr-16 09:57:07

Thanks for all your recommendations.

I've read Shardlake and loved them, but he was never interested.
I'll suggest them again.

He's read the Millenium trilogy and liked those, he's a huge le Carre fan and read most of those

I've bought him The Holy Thief and the Anne CLeeve's one for now.
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now