Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a book please - for flights and hotel room evenings with sleeping DC

(4 Posts)
BikeRunSki Sun 27-Mar-16 17:59:36

Off on a city break with the DC tommorow - 7 yo obsessed with the Eiffel Tower and they've never been abroad, so we're off to Paris (it was not half as easily done as said!)

So, i'll need a book I can dip in a out of on plane - not sure I'll actually have any time to myself to be honest, then to while away the evenings in the hotel when the dc are asleep (again I may be kidding myself!).

I've recently enjoyed books which are partially autobiographical/memoir:

H is for Hawk
Do No Harm
Dead Babies and Seaside Towns
The Road to Little Dribbling

I started The Story of Us but couldn't get on with it at all.

I also love Douglas Kennedy's thrillery novels. I read ^The Heat of the Moment" in about 3 sittings last time we were on holiday (with kid's club!).

BikeRunSki Sun 27-Mar-16 18:01:22

Unfortunately I've read ^The Woman in the Fifth", otherwise a Douglas Kennedy set in Paris would have been perfect!

TIA

tripfiction Mon 28-Mar-16 13:54:14

Try these set in Paris just for that extra dimension: The Milliner's Secret www.tripfiction.com/milliners-secret-novel-set-in-paris/

And a couple of novel recommended in "Paris Ponderings" www.tripfiction.com/paris-ponderings/ You can choose Cara Black by the arrondissement you happen to be in.

Then of course there is Eiffel's Tower by JillJonnes.

Have a lovely trip!!

SatsukiKusakabe Mon 28-Mar-16 14:28:39

I've just finished Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple.

It is written in epistolary style, letters, emails, notes, diary entries so easy to stop and start but still very readable and an absorbing story all the same. It is funny and light but with a bit of an edge to it, and poignant without being sentimental.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now