Talk

Advanced search

What's the last brilliant book you read?

(136 Posts)
HoggleHoggle Fri 04-Mar-16 17:55:06

I'm very excited to be going to an actual bookshop on Sunday rather than buying online but I'm all out of inspiration! I read a lot and am running out of stuff I'm aware of.

Can anyone tell me the last book they read that they absolutely loved?

Mine was The Light Years by Elizabeth Jane Howard. Picked up solely because it has an outrageously beautiful cover blush I'd never heard of it before but it was AMAZING. And the first of a five volume series so that's how I've been spending the last month of my life!

Am interested in novels mostly but also happy to hear about non-fiction. Thank you!

Roygrace Fri 04-Mar-16 17:58:00

I really liked the farm by Tom rob smith and currey reading the year of living danishly which I love much more then I thought.

Loved the lowland by ?? Can't recall and the goldfinch as well

usual Fri 04-Mar-16 18:01:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoggleHoggle Fri 04-Mar-16 18:02:48

Oooh I loved The Lowland too, Jhumpa Lahiri is one of my favourite writers.

I don't often read crime fiction and have no idea what's 'good' but when I find it always enjoy reading...I will look out for the Tom Rob Smith, thank you.

allegretto Fri 04-Mar-16 18:05:54

My Brilliant Friend

HoggleHoggle Fri 04-Mar-16 18:06:29

Usual I have always meant to read that and never have even though I used to work at his publishers so that is an excellent suggestion, thanks!

winterinmadeira Fri 04-Mar-16 18:10:10

Rachel's holiday by Marian Keyes. It was suggested on mn and I thought I'd try it for a change. I really enjoyed it.

BikeRunSki Fri 04-Mar-16 18:17:15

Do No Harm by Henry Marsh

It's the memoirs of a brain surgeon - fascinating, thought provoking, not at all gory and easy to read.

HoggleHoggle Fri 04-Mar-16 18:22:13

Bike I've read that and loved it, though have no idea how I stumbled across it initially.

In a similar-ish vein I loved The Skeleton Cupboard by Tanya Byron, stories from her clinical training in psychology. Very, very interesting and often sad.

stardusty5 Fri 04-Mar-16 18:27:36

I'm not finished but i'mhalfway thru Girl on the Train and only started it on Sunday night. This is the first book in about a year that has really made me look forward to picking it up. Thought i was losing my bookworm identity sad

5BlueHydrangea Fri 04-Mar-16 18:32:26

I was going to say "Girl on the train"! Is a great book.

Also "The Separation" - Dinah Jefferies

Have just started "A year of Marvellous Ways" - Sarah Winman. Looking good so far..

villainousbroodmare Fri 04-Mar-16 18:41:20

H Is For Hawk was interesting...

Elfontheedge Fri 04-Mar-16 18:42:30

I have just read The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters. Beautiful!

EATmum Fri 04-Mar-16 18:51:07

Burial Rites by Hannah Kemp I think - fantastic and really unusual book about a woman sentenced to death in nineteenth century Iceland. Beautiful writing.

Quogwinkle Fri 04-Mar-16 18:51:21

The Shardlake series by C J Sansom
Giordano Bruno series by S J Parris
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
Brixton Beach by Roma Tearne
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
A God In Ruins by Kate Atkinson

"The Invisible Library" by Genevieve Cogman - getting the second one on Monday so looking forward to reading that smile

applecatchers36 Fri 04-Mar-16 18:56:06

The poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, read it after recommendation on here. Didn't dissapoint, very rich story of family of 4 girls growing up in the Congo in the 60's.

AlexPKeaton Fri 04-Mar-16 18:57:13

A Little Life, by Hanya Yanigahara. Heartbreaking, devastating, disturbing, but so so good. I usually forget what I read but this one has stuck with me. Roughly it's about 4 college friends who move to NYC and grow up but there's way way more to it.

Re My Brilliant Friend, what is wrong with me that I didn't love it? It was OK but everyone else seems to think it was amazing. Shkjkd I persevere to the second book?

Quogwinkle Fri 04-Mar-16 19:00:12

Alex - I couldn't even make to halfway through My Brilliant Friend. I found it so dull, lost track of who everyone was and gave up.

SunnySomer Fri 04-Mar-16 19:06:32

A Whole Life by Robert Seethaler. It's really short and beautifully written, the (fictional) life story of a man from an Austrian mountain village.

HoggleHoggle Fri 04-Mar-16 19:10:44

These are all so brilliant thanks very much! Lots of options for me to look for.

Villainous dh has just read H is for Hawk and kind of liked it but also found it hard going. I know everyone raves about it though.

ShinyShinyShiny Fri 04-Mar-16 19:11:58

apple that is my favourite book, I always recommend it on threads like these.

The most recent books I've enjoyed were Kate Atkinson "Life After Life" and, very different, "The Girl in the Spiders a Web" which I was in two minds about as I was scared it would ruin the Millenium Trilogy for me but I loved it.

Hrafnkel Fri 04-Mar-16 19:14:58

The bean tree and pigs in heaven are better than poison wood bible imo.

Footle Fri 04-Mar-16 19:16:43

Mrs Bridge, by Evan Connell. Deceptively simple. Mr Bridge is also good and you need to read them both.

Moving by Jenny Eclair
And another vote for Marvellous Ways

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now