Talk

Advanced search

Good book to give my mum...

(11 Posts)
EllieHJ Fri 04-Mar-16 12:16:39

My mum is 85 and likes a easy reading romance or fun adventure but nothing too sexy. Nothing violent or with too many characters losing loved ones like Danielle Steele (we just lost my dad last month). I want to get her a couple of good reads for mothers day. Anyone read anything good recently? Help gratefully received. Something I thought along the lines of 'The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society' which I bought her and she loved - she is from Guernsey so that might have had something to do with it - but it was a nice read and not too violent.

QuerkyJo Fri 04-Mar-16 13:24:02

I am 70 and these are my favourites
Mrs Sinclair's suitcase
A Spring Affair
Hotel du lac
The lake house Kate Morton
Patricia Wentworth writes the Miss Silver stories, a bit like Miss Marple
Not Quite Nice, Celia Imrie
Wild Strawberries
miss Bunce's book D,E Stevenson
Travels of Maudie Tipstaff
The Enchanted April Elizabeth Von Arnhem
Hello,from the Gillespies
The beach hut next door

EllieHJ Fri 04-Mar-16 13:51:12

Thank you so much. They all sound wonderful!

Cel982 Fri 04-Mar-16 13:54:39

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day? Very charming and nostalgic, and nothing upsetting that I can remember.

Clawdy Fri 04-Mar-16 16:24:04

Marcia Willett writes good family sagas usually set in Devon or Cornwall. And Rosamund Pilcher of course but she's probably read those.

Quogwinkle Fri 04-Mar-16 16:28:24

As your mum's from Guernsey, has she read The Book of Ebenezer Le Page by G B Edwards? I know there are a few sad bits in it though, but it is an uplifting story and I loved it.

EllieHJ Fri 04-Mar-16 16:52:24

ooo lots of nice ideas. I'll definitely look at the Guernsey one. I think she will love Miss Pettigrew - the film was lovely too. Thanks!

PomBearWithAnOFRS Tue 08-Mar-16 04:09:53

Pip Granger - her autobiography is called "Alone" and her novels are "Not All Tarts are Apple", it's direct sequel "Widow Ginger", and then "No Peace for the Wicked" is set a couple of years later and "Trouble in Paradise" is set a few years earlier.
They are set in Soho and have "real" characters iykwim, and her turn of phrase and prose style is brilliant. They are funny and have moments of sadness and are exciting, but have happy endings.

mumslife Tue 08-Mar-16 19:30:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

minsmum Tue 08-Mar-16 22:42:37

Has she tried the Carola Dunn books set in the 1920's they are great fun

Starky Wed 23-Mar-16 21:15:45

Catherine J Bowness writes excellent romances - well written, nothing too racy, funny and exciting. E.g. "Cynthia, or a Short Stretch of Road" is really good. I bet your mum would love them. Disclaimer/full disclosure though - Ms Bowness is my mum, so I am biased smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now