Recommendations required!!!

(18 Posts)
Wibblewobble100 Tue 01-Mar-16 20:19:23

Really want a good book for my holiday in a couple of weeks. Ive been struggling to get back into reading - non sleeping baby means a book takes about a month to get through, and I have started a few and not finished as I some times don't pick it up for days at a time.
I'd like something easy to get absorbed in but nothing too dark or violent. It has to be written in plain English too, I struggle with the classics or anything with long flowery descriptive passages. In the past I've really enjoyed:
One day, but not so keen on Us
100 year old man..... But not so keen on the girl who saved to King of Sweden
The outlander series
Room
All the Dan brown books...
What would you suggest? Thanks in anticipation.

whatamidoinghereanyway Wed 02-Mar-16 18:12:00

Have you read Perfect by Rachel Joyce? A man called Ove is lovely toosmile

Quogwinkle Wed 02-Mar-16 18:49:08

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is good. Starts with One For The Money. She's a bounty hunter in New Jersey, but there's lots of humour interspersed with the crime solving. And some seriously gorgeous love interests grin

Equiem89 Wed 02-Mar-16 21:02:28

I've just finished the Tea Planters Wife, couldn't put it down

tripfiction Wed 02-Mar-16 22:06:29

Tea Planter's Wife is a good story, good suggestions @Equiem89 and well written and the author has a new book out The Silk Merchant's Daughter set in Vietnam. The Forgotten Summer by Carol Drinkwater is just out, bowls along nicely and will transport you to the South of France. And I have always like Charity Norman's books...

Destinysdaughter Wed 02-Mar-16 22:10:42

The Good Girl or Girl on The Train, were both books I read recently and enjoyed. ( sorry they're both girl related, they've got nothing to do with each other!)

Destinysdaughter Wed 02-Mar-16 22:11:59

Also, Us, by the guy who wrote One Day, David Nicholls?

Destinysdaughter Wed 02-Mar-16 22:13:36

Bugger, just saw you'd already read Us! blush

AnyFucker Wed 02-Mar-16 22:14:17

I just read Julie Myerson's latest, The Stopped Heart. Highly recommended.

Destinysdaughter Wed 02-Mar-16 22:15:15

This was good too

claremackintosh.com/i-let-you-go/

AKissACuddleAndACheekyFinger Wed 02-Mar-16 22:16:42

The Girl on the Train
An oldie but a goody: The Time Traveller's wife
If you want easy reading but good stories, anything by Lianne Moriarty especially The Husband's Secret (although perhaps not The Last Anniversary-that's a bit plop)
Before You
After You both by Jojo Moyes

lynholmerpark Wed 02-Mar-16 22:17:42

Girl on a Train or I let you go (plots both twist and turn).
Another vote for Tea Planters Wife or try one of JoJo Moyes books - Ship of Brides is excellent or Me Before You.
Enjoy your holiday X

NuggetofPurestGreen Wed 02-Mar-16 22:20:35

I came on to say A Man called Ove but whatamI beat me to it! smile

Destinysdaughter Wed 02-Mar-16 22:21:02

Time and Time Again by Ben Elton is also a v good read!

Destinysdaughter Wed 02-Mar-16 22:21:50

Me before You is great but v v sad...sad

NuggetofPurestGreen Wed 02-Mar-16 22:21:52

Also the JK Rowling/Robert Galbraith books - detective novels, no more violent that Dan Brown ( I think!)

Equiem89 Wed 02-Mar-16 22:31:39

Everyone i know in 'real life' hated girl on a train

Chillywhippet Thu 03-Mar-16 20:37:51

Just finished The Martian which I read at night when I couldn't sleep but it actually kept me awake longer so must have been gripping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now