Talk

Advanced search

Behind Closed Doors - B A Paris

(89 Posts)
DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Sun 14-Feb-16 15:01:44

HHas anyone read this? I stayed awake to read it, it was so gripping! I literally didn't put it down! It's 99p on Google play books I think, not sure about elsewhere and I definitely recommend it.

It's about a couple who's friends and family think are perfect, he's a lawyer who helps abused women, she's the perfect cook and homemaker. They're always together....... they're ALWAYS together. It's disturbing and chilling but it's the best book I've read in a while.

Any recommendations for anything based on my love of this are welcome!

U2HasTheEdge Sun 14-Feb-16 20:23:37

I have just started reading this smile

AndYourBirdCanSing Sun 14-Feb-16 21:36:53

I have just read this in less than a day. Could not stop reading, loved it!

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Sun 14-Feb-16 21:38:25

U2 come back and let us know what you think when you're finished!

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Sun 14-Feb-16 21:39:53

And- wasn't it brilliant! I was chilled to the bone reading it! Loved the ending too, it was so good. Shame there's no more by this author! I looked for them in Facebook so I could see if they were writing another book but I can't find them, ill be keeping my eye out though.

AndYourBirdCanSing Sun 14-Feb-16 21:40:04

I would also love any suggestions on what to read next.

OP have you read 'what have I done'? It's on kindle, can't remember the author but is a similar theme

AndYourBirdCanSing Sun 14-Feb-16 21:42:01

Just checked, it's Amanda Prowse

AndYourBirdCanSing Sun 14-Feb-16 21:45:50

Yes it was fantastic! I have not been cripped like that for a long time.

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Mon 15-Feb-16 00:45:37

And thank you, I've just got that one. It looks good! I'm just finishing Amanda brooke missing husband which is good and I'll read the Amanda prowse one after.

The widow by fiona Barton is very good too!

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Mon 15-Feb-16 03:03:42

Just finished what have I done by amanda prowse, thanks for the recommendation, it was excellent! Heartbreaking, gripping and brilliantly written.

Cheesymonster Mon 15-Feb-16 15:37:00

I am reading it now. Halfway through. I have to keep stopping because it's so disturbing.

Have you read Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes?

AndYourBirdCanSing Mon 15-Feb-16 16:16:43

I've read that Cheesy, found it so harrowing but an excellent read.

Glad ypu enjoyed it DiesAnyone, I'll be back later with some books I've enjoyed, I have spent a lot of time on Kindle finding books grin May be some you haven't heard of but like the look of.

AndYourBirdCanSing Mon 15-Feb-16 16:17:39

Argh please excuse typos, have a poorly boy snuggling on my lap!

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Mon 15-Feb-16 16:52:48

Cheesy, yeah it is quite harrowing. I read the Elizabeth haynes one, that was really good too. I think the way she writes is excellent.

And, that's great, I love recommendations. Reading is my favourite hobby so I run out of books too quickly without recommendations! Aw I hope he's better soon!

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Mon 15-Feb-16 22:34:07

A few recommendations here www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://blog.whsmith.co.uk/domestic-noir-books-every-gone-girl-fan-should-read-2/&ved=0ahUKEwiL28fU6frKAhWBrhQKHaUcC-cQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHn_wM2aVZS9N3xoDouP7TTB_7fyQ&sig2=app4iwW2UXcejSEuXXmKpA

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Mon 15-Feb-16 22:34:55

Sorry wrong link! blog.whsmith.co.uk/domestic-noir-books-every-gone-girl-fan-should-read-2/

ICanSeeForMiles Mon 15-Feb-16 22:40:53

I read it in one sitting yesterday, it was brilliant. Must admit the writing got a little tedious for a little while in the middle, but overall was a great book

Thought I was going to have to stop reading when I was at the part where they were on the first day of their honeymoon and the housekeeper was mentioned shock

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Mon 15-Feb-16 22:48:48

I saw that bit coming, I wasn't looking forward to their return home after it though! Apparently the writer does have another book coming out I've added it to my wish list on Google play books so in don't forget about it!

everydayinMK Tue 16-Feb-16 17:35:59

I read 'Behind Closed Doors' in a day, but when I got to the end, I was like, "Is that it?" Am I missing something? I expected there to be a twist. Have I totally misunderstood the whole book? And what was the point of the question about the room colour at the end? So the husband was supposed to decorate the room for the sister with the mental impairment. And he was supposed to have it painted yellow. But he deliberately decorated it red because he was horrible to her. What was the deeper meaning of this? Has it totally passed me by?blush

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Tue 16-Feb-16 17:42:59

Spoilers!

The husband decorated a room upstairs upstairs yellow for the sister but painted a secret room in the basement red and put up painting of battered women which was going to be the sisters real room.

He showed her parents etc the yellow room so everyone thought that was her room but to upset his wife he twice said that the sisters favourite colour was red and her room would be red in front of his friends.

Esther bought a red trinket box for the sisters room but sister insists her favourite colour and her room is yellow and husband denies saying it or says he made a mistake I forget.

When he is found dead he is found in the red room with the paintings in it. Esther asks what colour the sisters room was and the wife says red. So Esther now knows that was supposed to be the sisters bedroom and knows she is correct that he is an abuser and that's why she's helping her.

OhYouLuckyDuck Tue 16-Feb-16 22:45:26

It's one of the best books I've read, I couldn't put it down. I wish I knew the eventual outcome for Grace and Millie though. It's one of the few books where they really seemed like real people.

everydayinMK Wed 17-Feb-16 02:02:22

Thanks @DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings. I got the bit about the trinket box gift being red, and that the girl with the mental impairment was unhappy about it. So at the end when you say he's found dead and the police find the red basement room is locked from the outside, how does the wife get away with the murder? And where has the girl with the mental impairment gone?

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Wed 17-Feb-16 11:02:04

She gets away with murder because she drugged his whiskey and shut him in the basement which isn't locked from the outside its that it can only be opened from the outside so the police think he took the tablets to kill himself and shut himself in the basement room incase he hadn't taken enough/so no one could rescue him.

Also Esther is corroborating her story that he waved her off on holiday so the police think she was on a plane while he was dying so she couldn't have done it.

I like to think grace and millie lived together happily ever after when millies school finished smile

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Wed 17-Feb-16 11:02:32

OhYou- they do don't they, they're very believe able characters.

jackiekatu Wed 17-Feb-16 15:04:09

Finished it in a
Day loved it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now